• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Tribunals : VAT Flat Rate Scheme and Bank Interest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know we've already seen that HMRC have updated their VAT notes re flat rate and bank interest, but for anyone with any doubts left they've issued a brief to confirm no VAT is due on bank interest under FRS:

HM Revenue & Customs
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

So to sum up, no bank interest on VAT return to be included anymore.

To reclaim the VAT paid on interest for previous returns we can adjust our next return or is it going to more complicated than that?
      Too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        [*]disbursements - costs you pass on to your clients that meet the necessary VAT conditions
        Does it include travel expenses like hotels and flights if I charge it to the client in a separate invoice line, e.g.:

Consultancy services £8000 (vat - £1600)
        Travel expenses £2000 (vat - £400)
        Sub-total £10000
        VAT £2000
        Total £12000

Do I have to return my flat % based on £2000 (total) or £1600 (services only) ?

I just read somewhere that if you use a sub-contractor and it goes on your invoice to the end client you don't have to return vat for "his part" of the invoice ..thought the same might apply to travel exp

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
          Does it include travel expenses like hotels and flights if I charge it to the client in a separate invoice line, e.g.:

Consultancy services £8000 (vat - £1600)
          Travel expenses £2000 (vat - £400)
          Sub-total £10000
          VAT £2000
          Total £12000

Do I have to return my flat % based on £2000 (total) or £1600 (services only) ?

I just read somewhere that if you use a sub-contractor and it goes on your invoice to the end client you don't have to return vat for "his part" of the invoice ..thought the same might apply to travel exp
          What you've detailed above is effectively "expenses recharged" to your client rather than a disbursement. In your example, it is included as part of your turnover figure for FR calculation.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post
            So to sum up, no bank interest on VAT return to be included anymore.

To reclaim the VAT paid on interest for previous returns we can adjust our next return or is it going to more complicated than that?
            I've adjusted my latest return to get back the 40 quid - boooooommmmmed :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
              I've adjusted my latest return to get back the 40 quid - boooooommmmmed :-)
              Did you also reduce the turnover figure or just adjusted the total vat due?

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
                Did you also reduce the turnover figure or just adjusted the total vat due?
                That is my question too!

Also, can I amend for the last 4 years? No need to re-file any corporation tax return or stuff with companies house? I'm not bothered about claiming that back, just the VAT..

Comment

my accountant said to reduce turnover figure (as a one off) accordingly

Comment

OK,

so can I confirm that interest received (from bank deposit ) should not be included in calculations to arrive at corp tax figure if running a Flat Rate scheme?

css_jay99

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                      OK,

so can I confirm that interest received (from bank deposit ) should not be included in calculations to arrive at corp tax figure if running a Flat Rate scheme?

css_jay99
                      Not quite. Bank interest can be ignored in your flat rate VAT calculations. It's still income for CT purposes though.
                      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
                      X