• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it best i use my UK Ltd co to work in Belguim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by selinadelvecchio View Post
    Actually i would be going via the EuroTunnel and thought like a UK standard job that i would claim it back as mileage allowance
    Yep, you can claim mileage at 40p/25p as per usual (assuming you are using your own car), don't forget to keep a mileage log though...

Originally posted by selinadelvecchio View Post
    (though i doubt if i could get away with claiming the Tunnel as an expense)
    You can certainly claim the Tunnel fare as an expense and also reasonable subsistence while travelling like a bite to eat at the Tunnel terminal, sandwiches bought to eat on the Journey etc. You can claim subsistence (lunch in the company canteen, evening meals etc) as well because your temporary workplace is out of the UK. Speak to your UK accountant if you are unsure of the rules.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
      Honesty doesn't come into it - if you are working through a UK Ltd Co then you need not pay Belgian tax for the first 183 days you work in Belgium.

The advantage of staying in a B&B is that you do not have a potential business address in Belgium and the BTA cannot sugest your centre of economic activity has moved to B. from day one. And it saves registering at the local commune.

You will most likely be forced to register with Limosa by the client / agency (unlikely to be the agency who asks, since they are a UK firm). You should avoid registering if possible because 1: it's not you who is fined for not complying and 2: not registering will save being sent a B. tax return, which in turn will save you paying a B. accountant for filling it in for you.

If you are going to stay more than 183 days then all bets are off though and you'd better see a B. accountant right away.

Hth,

Boo
      Thanks Boo!

Comment

Working...
      X