• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outstanding Director's Loan - a no-no at year end?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about repaying the director's loan..

If my company's year end is 30/09 and as a director I borrow £5000 today (07/07/2010), when do I need to repay it:

1) 29/09/2010 - so it will not be recorded in the final accounts, then I can borrow it back on 01/10/2010

2) 29/06/2011 - 9 months after the year end, borrow back next day

3) 06/04/2011 - 9 months after the loan was taken, borrow back next day

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
      Quick question about repaying the director's loan..

If my company's year end is 30/09 and as a director I borrow £5000 today (07/07/2010), when do I need to repay it:

1) 29/09/2010 - so it will not be recorded in the final accounts, then I can borrow it back on 01/10/2010

2) 29/06/2011 - 9 months after the year end, borrow back next day

3) 06/04/2011 - 9 months after the loan was taken, borrow back next day

Thanks
      A loan has to be repaid within 9 months of the company year end to avoid section 419 tax (25% extra CT) - so the second option.

Go careful though - If you borrow the money back the next day and HMRC review your records they will see the second loan as a continuance of the first, and then charge you the s419 you avoided. Plus interest and penalties.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
        A loan has to be repaid within 9 months of the company year end to avoid section 419 tax (25% extra CT) - so the second option.

Go careful though - If you borrow the money back the next day and HMRC review your records they will see the second loan as a continuance of the first, and then charge you the s419 you avoided. Plus interest and penalties.
        Thanks, so in theory if I borrow it on the day after the coming company year end date I can have it for 12 + 9 months rather than 11.5 with no consequences ?

How should it be done properly to avoid s419 in this case ? A week/month after, or this is another grey area in the revenue's guidelines ?

I found that I am spending a lot of personal money on business related expenses (fuel, hotels etc.) which I could potentially use to offset my mortgage. If I took the loan, I would be spending the company money to pay for all that rather then spend my own and wait for company to reimburse it.

Comment

I found that I am spending a lot of personal money on business related expenses (fuel, hotels etc.) which I could potentially use to offset my mortgage. If I took the loan, I would be spending the company money to pay for all that rather then spend my own and wait for company to reimburse it.
          Hotels, trains, planes and a lot of other expenses can be paid for directly from the company with company credit/debit card
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Thanks, so in theory if I borrow it on the day after the coming company year end date I can have it for 12 + 9 months rather than 11.5 with no consequences ?

How should it be done properly to avoid s419 in this case ? A week/month after, or this is another grey area in the revenue's guidelines ?

More detail on 'bed & breakfasting' of loans here:

CTM61615 - Close companies: loans to participators: repayment of: bed and breakfasting

Also watch for any benefit in kind if the total of all loans goes above £5k at any point.

If you're reclaiming expenses on a monthly basis then surely the amount the company owes you wouldn't get a huge level? You can even repay yourself more often if it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
              If you're reclaiming expenses on a monthly basis then surely the amount the company owes you wouldn't get a huge level? You can even repay yourself more often if it makes a difference.
              £5k will only cover expenses for 2-3 months, still better than paying it with your own money.

Am I correct about timing, that I can have it for 21 month if I wait until after the next year end ?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Hotels, trains, planes and a lot of other expenses can be paid for directly from the company with company credit/debit card
                you can't pay for petrol, only "claim" it back later on via mileage allowance
                some b&b take cash only
                some airlines penalise you for using credit cards (no company debit card)

Comment

£5k will only cover expenses for 2-3 months, still better than paying it with your own money.

Am I correct about timing, that I can have it for 21 month if I wait until after the next year end ?
                  Yes.

Comment

interesting about bed and breakfasting loan- one should be mindful that the internal manuals are what HMRC tell the inspectors to do. This is not the law! We have dealt with tax inspections before where HMRC refer to their manuals. We thank them for their interpretation of the law and then ask them where it says this in the legislation. Has resulted in some cases closing very quickly. Generally speaking, although there is some good stuff on their website, what appears is not always a matter of fact.

Comment

This concerns me for two reasons:

1) Why are your expenses so high?

2) Why does it take so long for you to pay yourself back your expenses....?!

Comment

Working...
                      X