• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep let them eat cake...

ive got no guilt about NOT wanting to bail people out of poverty..my family came from nothing and worked their way out of it....All you have to do is watch the programme on Panorama the other night with those youngsters who were able to, but wouldnt work unless the job absolutely suited their ambitions, allowed them to sleep in until 10:30 every morning and was something they really wanted to do...I guess all the highly educated Polish immigrants with degrees cleaning toilets (as they do at Transport for London) always aspired to be toilet cleaners in companies office blocks!!..These people set an embarrassing example to a lot (not all) of our unemployed.

Mr BNP, Its not foreigners taking our jobs from British people, unfortunately a large percentage of able bodied benefit workers would rather not work, claim their dole money and lie around....We need Workfair as the business leader said on the programme, starve them into working if they can work but chose not to, dont pay them loads of money to do sweet FA!
    Last edited by smalldog; 28 April 2010, 16:03.

Comment

You are not wrong smalldog.

I was talking to one of the farmers down here in Cornwall who employs migrant workers. He says they only use foreigners because they can't find locals willing to do the work anymore.

Now here's an interesting coincidence:

There are on average 10,000 migrant workers in the county each year...
      Volunteer Cornwall Welcomes Migrant Workers | Volunteer Cornwall

A total of 9,824 people were claiming Jobseeker's Allowance in March, 3.2% of the county's population, said the Office for National Statistics.
      BBC News - Cornwall unemployment numbers fall

The irony is that very few (if any) of these 9,824 unemployed would be willing to do the jobs that the 10,000 migrant workers do.
      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 28 April 2010, 17:07.

Comment

[QUOTE=DonkeyRhubarb;1132407]

A total of 9,824 people were claiming Jobseeker's Allowance in March, 3.2% of the county's population, said the Office for National Statistics.
        QUOTE]

There will be a few thousand more on that allowance if the revenue bankrupt us so we can't run businesses anymore...

Part of me looks forward to the day I can start freeloading from this country to make up for all the years I grafted my ass off, for what could very well turn out to be nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Looks like I'm going to have to change my username in a week or so when GB heads for the hills. What about, YourMikeIsOnGB?
          Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 29 April 2010, 00:34.

Comment

I always read it as ....

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
            Looks like I'm going to have to change my username in a week or so when GB heads for the hills. What about, YourMikeIsOnGB?
            ...you being peed off with Great Britiain and were looking to move abroad!

Well there you go :-)

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
              ...you being peed off with Great Britiain and were looking to move abroad!

Well there you go :-)
              Well it wasn't, but I will retrospectively change it's meaning after the election to mean something completely different, and keep it, because that is of course what I always intended, even though I hadn't thought of it before.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                Well it wasn't, but I will retrospectively change it's meaning after the election to mean something completely different, and keep it, because that is of course what I always intended, even though I hadn't thought of it before.
                Been looking for an excuse to take this smiley for a test-drive for a while now.....

Comment

Why well Hung is not always good

Folks,

Whilst seemingly slightly off topic, the outcome of the Election can be significant to our cause. In the instance of a Hung Paliament, it's well worth considering the following Constitutional position:

1) The prime minister remains the Prime Minister until he resigns. Even if he has lost his majority or is no longer the largest party, the PM remains PM until he resigns. It is his right, if he wishes, to wait until Parliament reassembles and to try and get approval for a Queen’s speech, even if he does not lead the largest party.

2) The Queen’s government must continue. When the Prime Minister resigns the Queen immediately invites someone else to replace him, in the knowledge that they will accept. The Palace will not allow there to be a period without government.

3) The Queen will not involve itself in anything that could be construed as being partisan, and does not personally involve herself in negotiations – though the Palace will closely follow the progress of negotiations.

4) Should the Prime Minister resign, the Queen will invite the person most capable of commanding a majority in the Commons (or at least, getting a Queen’s Speech and budget past the House). That will normally be the leader of the largest party, but it doesn’t have to be.

5) Should a Prime Minister loose a vote of confidence, or something regarded as a vote of confidence like the vote on the Queens Speech, they must resign or request a dissolution. A dissolution remains the personal power of the monarch, and she may refuse if the Parliament has only just been elected and there is a chance of an alternative government.

The instance where Gordon Brown’s position as incumbent does make a difference is if there is no agreement to a coalition or a pact. As the sitting Prime Minister, Gordon Brown would then be the leader to go before Parliament and essentially dare them to vote down the Queen’s speech, leaving the other parties to consider whether it is in their strategic interests to vote the government out or bide their time and suffer it to continue for the time being.

So to put it another way, a hung Parliament leaves us with Gordon as PM on Friday. And if the opinon polls bear out with Tories on 34% & Libs and Labour on 28%, the Labour are the largest party by 1 seat giving Brown the constitutional mandate to form the next Government by default. If the Tories were the largest party by 1 seat, then Brown stays as PM until the above is played out.

Given how Brown has consistently refused to "give up" we could have a major problem where we have a PM who initially refuses to go, does not form the largest party by seats, then we're into Constitutional games and no clear Government. However, the Constitution does require that the Monarch cannot allow a period of no Government. That said, the Monarch may not allow a dissolution of Parliament again so early on after May 6th until the Commons have tried to come to a solution either via Coalition or a face off for Brown via a no confidence vote or to refuse the Queens Speech by other parties.

Unless the polls are wrong, May 7th and the following month may be more of a roller-coaster than the build up.

Comment

Message to HMRC

If you are reading this, there are a few things you should bear in mind.
                    1. The appeals process could go on for many years. Currently the case is listed in the Court of Appeal but Montpelier are committed to taking it to the Supreme Court and Europe if necessary. Even if this is ultimately unsuccessful, they have alternative angles they can pursue through the tax courts. Other parties, such as PwC, KPMG and Ernst & Young have also initiated legal action to challenge s58. The point is this is going to be a long and drawn out process whatever happens.
                    2. I am retired and in good physical health. I’ve got all the time in the world to keep digging for the truth. The more evasive you are, the more determined I will be to keep persevering.
                    3. I could probably be described as border-line obsessive/compulsive. Once I get the bit between my teeth, I absolutely will not stop, ever!
                    4. Despite your overwhelming resource advantage, you cannot possibly be as focused as me. You have already made mistakes. You will keep making more and more mistakes and digging yourselves into a deeper and deeper hole. Even if you can keep this up for several years, you should consider the consequences of your actions carefully and bear in mind the trail of evidence you are leaving behind which can never be erased. Not even retrospection can come to your rescue this time!

I know what you’re thinking. What can one person do against the shear might of an organisation like HMRC?

Heard of Heather Brooke?

PS.
                    And why am I doing this? What's my motivation?

Contrary to what you may think, it's not about money. Take a look at the Poll at the top of the page and there you have your answer. There but for the grace of god, I could have been one of the 59% majority who are at risk of losing their homes. And for that reason alone, I can't just stand by while you destroy people's lives.
                    Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 5 May 2010, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      Message to HMRC

If you are reading this, there are a few things you should bear in mind.
                      1. The appeals process could go on for many years. Currently the case is listed in the Court of Appeal but Montpelier are committed to taking it to the Supreme Court and Europe if necessary. Even if this is ultimately unsuccessful, they have alternative angles they can pursue through the tax courts. Other parties, such as PwC, KPMG and Ernst & Young have also initiated legal action to challenge s58, which will further draw out the proceedings.
                      2. I am retired and in good physical health. I’ve got all the time in the world to keep digging for the truth. The more evasive you are, the more determined I will be to keep persevering.
                      3. I could probably be described as border-line obsessive/compulsive. Once I get the bit between my teeth, I absolutely will not stop, ever!
                      4. Despite your overwhelming resource advantage, you cannot possibly be as focused as me. You have already made mistakes. You will keep making more and more mistakes and digging yourselves into deeper and deeper holes. Even if you can keep this up for several years, consider your actions and the trail of evidence you are leaving behind which can never be undone. Not even retrospection can help you this time!

I know what you’re thinking. What can one person do against the shear might of an organisation like HMRC?

Remember Heather Brooke?
                      DonkeyRhubarb for President !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X