• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a thought

Assuming we get a Conservative government...

The new Treasury team would have access, for the first time, to the papers and legal opinions that framed the legislation, which HM Treasury have refused to release to us under Freedom of Information.

I've already got a complaint with the Information Commissioner about this, which is currently being investigated.

Search for "Budget Note 66".

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...ruary_2010.pdf

I am starting to think there may be some opportunities.

Comment

Excellent work as ever Mr Rhubarb.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        I am starting to think there may be some opportunities.
        I wonder if anything can be uncovered regards influnce made by Ovum or Logica to a certain MP, or is that too long in the past and been done before?
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
          I wonder if anything can be uncovered regards influnce made by Ovum or Logica to a certain MP, or is that too long in the past and been done before?
          I think this was investigated by the parliamentary standards committee, and they gave him a clean bill of health.

In any case, this would only discredit him, and he wasn't even in office when s58 was enacted. The minister in charge at the time JK is stepping down at the election.

Hopefully (I pray), Timms & Co will be ancient history in a few weeks time.

Comment

I'm not claiming I can take all of the credit for this but...

Last week I provided the Conservatives with the figures on NI growth vs. income tax since 2001/2 and exchanged several emails with Philip Hammond (Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury) urging them to run with the story.

Labour's promise in '97 not to put up income tax was a con trick, and eventually the public will realise they've been duped.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...tax-rises.html

I have been racking my brain for the past year as to how I could exact revenge on Timms & Co and this will do nicely.

Just watch the Conservative lead in the polls increase over the coming days.
            Nice one DR! Maybe I should go down the bookies and have little flutter on the election winner
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I'm not claiming I can take all of the credit for this but...

Last week I provided the Conservatives with the figures on NI growth vs. income tax since 2001/2 and exchanged several emails with Philip Hammond (Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury) urging them to run with the story.

Labour's promise in '97 not to put up income tax was a con trick, and eventually the public will realise they've been duped.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...tax-rises.html

I have been racking my brain for the past year as to how I could exact revenge on Timms & Co and this will do nicely.

Just watch the Conservative lead in the polls increase over the coming days.
              Nice one DR!

If its going to be as close as they think, then every story like this helps turn the tide. Roll on May 6th, bring it on!

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                Nice one DR!

If its going to be as close as they think, then every story like this helps turn the tide. Roll on May 6th, bring it on!
                yes im going to have the up most pleasure giving Nu Labour a kick in the balls with my vote
                When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

Any other suggestions?

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                  Nice one DR!

If you have any suggestions for further avenues of attack, bring them on as I have the ear of the Tory campaign team.

They're only interested in issues which would appeal to, and be understood by, the average joe in the street (think Sun or Daily Mail reader).

Comment

I reckon that HMRC's increasing powers are worth an attack, not just retro' but things like their recent power to dip into bank accounts without permission, and the one where they can investigate you before you break the law 'if Parliament turned its mind to the specific issue in question', also the one that they are trying to push through whereby anyone giving 'tax advice' will become illegal.

It could be campaigned under increasing power of the state and 'big brother' politics.

I would also attack Labour's idea of 'fair' what is fair? Look at IR35, you could end up paying more to Goverment if you operated inside of it, the 60% tax take has been with frelancers for years!
                    Last edited by portseven; 6 April 2010, 13:27.
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                      I reckon that HMRC's increasing powers are worth an attack, not just retro' but things like their recent power to dip into bank accounts without permission, and the one where they can investigate you before you break the law 'if Parliament turned its mind to the specific issue in question', also the one that they are trying to push through whereby anyone giving 'tax advice' will become illegal.

It could be campaigned under increasing power of the state and 'big brother' politics.

I would also attack Labour's idea of 'fair' what is fair? Look at IR35, you could end up paying more to Goverment if you operated inside of it, the 60% tax take has been with frelancers for years!
                      Totaly agree.
                      Your average factory worker might think it's great that Labour are going after the 'big money earners' but he if understood that they are granting themselves the power to help themselves to his hard-earned weekly wage or knock down his front door when they mess up his PAYE code again.
                      - and getting it back from them could take months - he might want some better governance over what they are allowed to do.

How about some numbers on how much they have spent/wasted chasing 'avoidance' and IR35 when a better consultation process would have netted them so much more.

That's what I find so frustrating - give me 1 hour with the treasury and I could net them much more money. Stop wasting it chasing all the schemes that they forced everyone into. Just make it clear and simple and 95% of people will tag along.

Comment

Working...
                      X