• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    whats the verdict on these ? are they under investigation anywhere ?
    In conversation with one of the companies running one, they assured me that they were not being investigated and were safe.

I think I've heard that line before somewhere.
    I have heard that people on these schemes have started receiving enquiry notices.

Comment

huh?

So how come we get retrospectively hit and everyone else seems to get a nice prospective piece of legislation and even a years grace to consider what they do about it!!!!! why are we being treated so ridiculously harshly??

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004806.html

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        So how come we get retrospectively hit and everyone else seems to get a nice prospective piece of legislation and even a years grace to consider what they do about it!!!!! why are we being treated so ridiculously harshly??

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004806.html
        That's a question I keep coming back to.

And I think the answer is very simple...

Because HMRC reckoned they could get away with it.

Comment

loan schemes

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I have heard that people on these schemes have started receiving enquiry notices.
          So, I almost jumped out of this when our ruling came down. After speaking to them, hearing their reassurances, and the fact that the difference between that and a LTD company would help me reduce this potential bill quicker, I decide to stay with it.
          Have I made the wrong decision twice ? Is it popular opinion here that these should be avoided ?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyguitar View Post
            So, I almost jumped out of this when our ruling came down. After speaking to them, hearing their reassurances, and the fact that the difference between that and a LTD company would help me reduce this potential bill quicker, I decide to stay with it.
            Have I made the wrong decision twice ? Is it popular opinion here that these should be avoided ?
            Well im still in one, but now thinking its time to go the Ltd route

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheBoat View Post
              Why go Ltd now? You may as well wait until April next year - he's given you a full year's warning. I'm considering whether to switch to one from a Ltd!!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                That's a question I keep coming back to.

And I think the answer is very simple...

Because HMRC reckoned they could get away with it.
                Surely that is an argument our legal team can use. How can there be one rule for them and one for us? Doesnt there have to be one rule for all, either the government make everyone retrospective in supposed avoidance cases, or give everyone one year to get their house in order and then impose prospective legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Boycie View Post
                  Why go Ltd now? You may as well wait until April next year - he's given you a full year's warning. I'm considering whether to switch to one from a Ltd!!
                  true. actually wonder what MontP's take on this will be and if they have a scheme number 3 waiting in the wings to take over?

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheBoat View Post
                    I was thinking of going LTD but with the BN66 fiasco and a potentially large bill, I'm more encouraged to get every penny I can.
                    So HMRC actions are actually encouraging me to pursue avoidance schemes.
                    I went to MonP because of the uncertain-ess of IR35.

When will they learn ?
                    I just want a method of operating that is fair, clear and certain.
                    LTD companies still carry the spectre of IR35 investigations with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Boycie View Post
                      because they might go the retrospective route ? especially if they win our case beforehand.

Comment

Working...
                      X