• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StellaFan View Post
    presumably the contact email address would end with @hmrc.gsi.gov.uk
    AAG contact info:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/avoidance/contact.htm

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
      Odd that. Lots of stuff on disclosure, detection and closing schemes down quickly. Nothing at all about sitting on returns for eight years, panicking, imposing restrospective legislation and putting families out on the street.

Methinks the CIOT missed an opportunity to ask some probing questions rather than sitting there with their tongues firmly up HMRC's fundament.
      Indeed. I've been following this case with interest, as I work for a firm involved in offshore tax solutions and am therefore concerned about the wider implications of this case, as I'd like to be able to carry on paying my mortgage!

I think the case strikes right at the heart of basic human rights, so you'd hope that sooner or later common sense will prevail, but given the size of the tax hole to be filled, I think the government will use every dirty trick in the book.

Comment

Question

I have been avoiding tax for years by not buying cigarettes. Can I expect the anti-avoidance group to send me a retrospective bill for what my fair share should have been based on, say, twenty a day?

Comment

Isn't the Taxman trying to scare Financial Advisors by threatening them that any advice given that reduces the UK's tax take (even something mundane like investing in an ISA) could land them in trouble. That hole in the UK accounts must be pretty bloody big indeed. That's what you get from putting an incompetent idiot like Brown in charge I guess.

Comment

Remember if things get really bad..

There is always this

http://sellkidney.com

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
              I have been avoiding tax for years by not buying cigarettes. Can I expect the anti-avoidance group to send me a retrospective bill for what my fair share should have been based on, say, twenty a day?
              brilliant!!! hahahaha....also we should fill our cars to overflowing and drive as much as possible to bolster duty income on fuel, otherwise we are avoiding paying duty!!!! come on drive more everyone, the government needs it!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                brilliant!!! hahahaha....also we should fill our cars to overflowing and drive as much as possible to bolster duty income on fuel, otherwise we are avoiding paying duty!!!! come on drive more everyone, the government needs it!
                Maybe they could retrospectively increase fines for anybody caught speeding in the last 6 years from £60 to £60,000. Sorry, by retrospectively I did of course mean "clarify the law".

Comment

Originally posted by robinhood View Post
                  There is always this

http://sellkidney.com

It's a pity that appears to be a spoof website.

Selling a kidney's something I'd have to seriously consider to avoid going bankrupt when the HMRC goons demand payment.

Comment

shambles

in the words of Alan Sugar what an utter shambles...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8571361.stm

Comment

Eyes, ears and lungs for sale

Originally posted by weeboaby View Post
                      It's a pity that appears to be a spoof website.

Selling a kidney's something I'd have to seriously consider to avoid going bankrupt when the HMRC goons demand payment.
                      I think I will need to sell than 1 kidney, just to cover the interest.

Comment

Working...
                      X