• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Same here. MP did this with me. I pointed out that all returns relating to me were effectively under investigation. MP's pathetic excuse was there was no 'official' notification that the said return was under investigation.

Er, hello! JWTF do they think HMRC are doing then?

Sorry but this is another point on which Im not happy with MP's 'service.' You can add it to the plain fact that for 6 years they told me not to 'bother with a CTD as we are confident of our position and you (me) will not have to pay a penny.'

The interest stacked up to more than 10k until I decided I had to get a CTD because we arent going to be successful here imo.

The whole effing thing stinks imo and I wish I'd never heard of this scheme. I've wrote the ctd off in my mind as I know I'll never see that money again.

I know others see things differently and I admire their optimism.
    My friend had a very small exposure - only about £7k in tax, in total - MP told him a CTD would probably be less beneficial to him than a savings account given how little he actually owed. His liability related to 03/04 when interest on savings was much better than today.

So was it the same for you or did they outrightly say, don't buy a CTD?
    Last edited by Cosmo; 7 July 2011, 09:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
      My friend had a very small exposure - only about £7k in tax, in total
      Paraphrasing the immortal words of Crocodile Dundee...

You call that an exposure?
      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 7 July 2011, 10:08.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Read this 2-page bulletin which was issued to all tax offices in July 2002.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...Issue%2063.pdf

Does that answer your question?
        It certainly tips it in our favour, but I wouldn't say it was cut and dried. It tells them what to look out for, but I suspect they would argue that just because the IOM exemption was mentioned, that in itself is not enough to indicate that we were using the tax planning arrangement. My point being we cannot be 100% certain that MP are correct and that this can simply be closed off. Better to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
          It certainly tips it in our favour, but I wouldn't say it was cut and dried. It tells them what to look out for, but I suspect they would argue that just because the IOM exemption was mentioned, that in itself is not enough to indicate that we were using the tax planning arrangement. My point being we cannot be 100% certain that MP are correct and that this can simply be closed off. Better to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
          HMRC would have a hard time justifying the use of discovery at a tax tribunal in the face of that document.

Also bear in mind that in June 2003 they put several Montpelier scheme returns under enquiry so they would know exactly what wording to look for.

A good brief will tear them to shreds.
          Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 7 July 2011, 11:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
            My friend had a very small exposure - only about £7k in tax, in total - MP told him a CTD would probably be less beneficial to him than a savings account given how little he actually owed. His liability related to 03/04 when interest on savings was much better than today.

So was it the same for you or did they outrightly say, don't buy a CTD?
            Sorry, I dont wish to appear harsh but did you not read my earlier post where I quoted what MP told me?

Of course they told me not to bother with a CTD, what would be the point in making that up?

No doubt MP would respond by saying someone working at their office making such a comment wasnt speaking on their behalf but that's what I was quoted, word for word.

The point about savings account is a moot one. Interest rates are always volatile and can move up or down. A ctd, I found out here from DR sometime later, cancels out any interest accruing on your percieved debt.

In any event, MP were being overtly bolshie (no pun) in their claim that this wouldnt cost us a penny as they were going to win, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I was also told 'the longer this drags on, the more money we (MP) make.'

And that in a nutshell is why, I believe, people were told not to bother taking a CTD.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Private Eye | Official Site

To summarise, and I quote:
              Dave Hartnett unlawfully let Goldman Sachs off a £20m interest bill on an offshore tax avoidance scheme for its bankers’ bonuses.

Maybe the hypocritical b*****d will get a lunch out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                Private Eye | Official Site

To summarise, and I quote:
                Dave Hartnett unlawfully let Goldman Sachs off a £20m interest bill on an offshore tax avoidance scheme for its bankers’ bonuses.

Maybe the hypocritical b*****d will get a lunch out of it.
                stinks of corruption to me, what a total W*****r

assume we get the same courtesy then, I will be waving this round the court if we ever get to that stage...cant be one rule for them and another for us

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  stinks of corruption to me, what a total W*****r

assume we get the same courtesy then, I will be waving this round the court if we ever get to that stage...cant be one rule for them and another for us
                  I thought people were not supposed to swear on this forum... Moderator... ban these chaps!

Comment

gasha11

joined June 2011, 1st post above

Hmmm...

Comment

I smell a troll in the air.........

Originally posted by gasha11 View Post
                      I thought people were not supposed to swear on this forum... Moderator... ban these chaps!
                      I don't believe it.........

Comment

Working...
                      X