• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KiwiGuy View Post
    is that a good or bad thing
    Bad, with a big "B" I would say.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGuy View Post
      is that a good or bad thing
      In the Gaines-Cooper case, he dismissed the appeal as “nothing more than an illegitimate attempt to reargue the facts”.

I don't think we should read too much into this though because we don't know the relative merits of the case.

The Judges in the CoA are far more senior than Justice Parker and hopefully they'll at least assess the case on points of law rather than "social[ist] policy".
      Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 9 March 2010, 10:00.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        In the Gaines-Cooper case, he dismissed the appeal as “nothing more than an illegitimate attempt to reargue the facts”.

I don't think we should read too much into this though because we don't know the relative merits of the case.

The Judges in the CoA are far more senior than Justice Parker and hopefully they'll at least assess the case on points of law rather than "social[ist] policy".
        Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance here, and no doubt this has been covered elsewhere, and I can't find it, but what is the differences between their appeal to get their JR and ours (aside from the legal argument being presented)? Why are there three judges involved and why are they more senior?

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
          Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance here, and no doubt this has been covered elsewhere, and I can't find it, but what is the differences between their appeal to get their JR and ours (aside from the legal argument being presented)? Why are there three judges involved and why are they more senior?
          If you recall, their JR oral application in the High Court got refused due to a timing issue (too late because it was more than 3 months after royal assent; too early because the claimant hadn't received a CN).

They therefore applied to the Court of Appeal. The hearing today is in the Court of Appeal, hence the 3 judges.

I'm told the outcome of this could go one of 4 ways (listed in order of preference):

1) Refuse permission for a full hearing (end of story)
          2) Order the case to be heard in the High Court (Judicial Review);
          3) Hear the case straight away (today) in the Court of Appeal;
          4) Order the case to go straight to the European Court.

PS. I'm told (2) is unlikely.
          Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 9 March 2010, 11:07.

Comment

If you recall, their JR oral application in the High Court got refused due to a timing issue (too late because it was more than 3 months after royal assent; too early because the claimant hadn't received a CN).

They therefore applied to the Court of Appeal. The hearing today is in the Court of Appeal, hence the 3 judges.

I'm told the outcome of this could go one of 4 ways (listed in order of preference):

Ahhh, that makes sense now, I didn't realise they could effectively leapfrog the JR. Thanks DR.

Comment

on the way to work...

this morning and my MP got in the same carriage as me.
              I was tempted to sit opposite and wait for him to finish his multiple phones calls but, in the end, didn't:
              1. felt it was a bit rude to accost him in a public place

2. more importantly, I'm not what I would be asking him to do ?
              I wanted to ask him to stop HMRC being so vindictive & bullying, highligting their recent tendancy towards illegalising 'avoidance' via retrospection.
              But, really, what could I reasonably expect him to do ? Wouldn't he just refer me back to the process we are going through ? i.e. appeal, supreme court etc

I'm happy to try talking to him again, but just wanted a viable agenda.
              Any suggestions ?

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                Ahhh, that makes sense now, I didn't realise they could effectively leapfrog the JR. Thanks DR.
                I remember someone commenting at the time that what appeared to be a cock-up might actually be to their advantage.

Of course, if their application is refused today then that's the end of the line and they won't have even got a hearing.

Comment

what is the relation to our track ?
                  If they get refused an Appeal hearing - does that mean ours can get refused on the same grounds ?
                  what if they win an appeal hearing ? Does that mean ours can win purely on the back of it ?

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyguitar View Post
                    what is the relation to our track ?
                    If they get refused an Appeal hearing - does that mean ours can get refused on the same grounds ?
                    what if they win an appeal hearing ? Does that mean ours can win purely on the back of it ?
                    There is no relation. They are challenging the legislation on completely different grounds to us. Whatever happens in their case it has no bearing on ours. (See 1st post of this thread for more details)

Comment

There is no relation. They are challenging the legislation on completely different grounds to us. Whatever happens in their case it has no bearing on ours. (See 1st post of this thread for more details)
                      But if it is heard in the appeal court (or eventually Europe) and they win on their grounds, do we not also win by proxy, irrespective of MPs HR argument? Sorry for the stupid questions, I've just started to think that today might be more important for us than I thought it was.

Comment

Working...
                      X