• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    this maybe a very long shot, but you dont think that there is a slight possiblity that the reason the COA is taking its time is because there is something in the budget to revoke all of this so will wipe out any need for them to make a judgement?? After all its only round the corner (3 weeks away) and they have taken a very long time....and there are simplifications of the tax system due shortly....
    Snowball in hell's chance (IMHO).

Gawke has consistently said this (BN66) should 'be allowed to run its course through the courts' whenever my MP has challenged him following my correspondence with him.

I see no reason why gawke would say what he did if there was going to be something in the budget.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Snowball in hell's chance (IMHO).

Gawke has consistently said this (BN66) should 'be allowed to run its course through the courts' whenever my MP has challenged him following my correspondence with him.

I see no reason why gawke would say what he did if there was going to be something in the budget.
      Have to agree, HMRC will only give a rats arse if this has been personalised and one of them is being held personally responsible. If they win, they get (some) of the money, if they lose, they'll cry foul over those evil tax dodgers and rewrite the legislation anyway. The only difference being the amount of tax money they've wasted in between. And they don't give a shi t about that, they're only interested in taking it off us in the first place, once it's been pocketed, they'll continue to spend it as wastefully as they always have, just like every government department.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
        Anyone else had a letter from MontP stating that HMRC have asked for copies of bank statements for 2008 – 2009??

I have no problem providing the information but in this age of identity theft it really irks me that HMRC can demand copies and that nothing should be deleted (i.e. bank account, sort code, etc). Knowing how incompetent HMRC are they’ll simply dump them in the bin once they’re finished with them and before you know it my identity will be ripped off by some criminal and I’ll never be able to travel or work again!!

Hi Fireship. See response on loans thread.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1289389
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
          Anyone else had a letter from MontP stating that HMRC have asked for copies of bank statements for 2008 – 2009??

I have no problem providing the information but in this age of identity theft it really irks me that HMRC can demand copies and that nothing should be deleted (i.e. bank account, sort code, etc). Knowing how incompetent HMRC are they’ll simply dump them in the bin once they’re finished with them and before you know it my identity will be ripped off by some criminal and I’ll never be able to travel or work again!!

Since bank statements do not come under the definition of "statutory records", then HMRC has no right to see them without first applying to a tax tribunal. If you volunteer to send them, that's your lookout. If you have kept other records which detail all of your business transactions, then there isn't even a legal requirement for you to keep copies of your actual bank statements.
          You are right to be cautious.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated!!!

I'll be sending HMRC details of the relevant transactions only, they can go and whistle for the rest!!! If they want further details they'll have to follow due process as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              The guy managing the case at PwC is away for half-term, so I probably won't find anything out until next week.
              Intrigued to see what this guy has to say - on the face of it, it seems quite significant ruling

Comment

No action after raid

The Isle of Man Independent newspaper reports today that no disciplinary action has been taken following an unlawful raid on a tax consultancy office (MP) the Home Affairs Minister has said. He declined to answer some questions raised as the matter was "sub-judice" IOM Police and others raided the Montpelier Tax Consultants and Trust Company last September as part of an investigation on behalf of HMRC. But the search warrant used by the IOM Police was quashed in the IOM's High Court and the raid declared unlawful. The Home Affairs Minister has said proceedings are still before the High Court

Comment

The Plumbers Tax Safe Plan gives plumbers and associated workers until the end of May to disclose any undeclared tax owed. If they come clean they will be charged an additional 10 per cent to 20 per cent of what they owe as a penalty.

However, Revenue & Customs has said that the same deal can be broadly applied to those in other industries coming forward with a disclosure.

So, it seems if you don't declare you income and evade tax, you will get a lesser punishment that us; who fully delcared all our income and were told what we were doing was perfectly legal.

My accured interest is around 30% of my tax owed (reduced by having a CTD for the last 2 years).

So, can this rule apply to us if we choose to 'come clean'? Could save some people a huge amount in interest.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
                    The Plumbers Tax Safe Plan gives plumbers and associated workers until the end of May to disclose any undeclared tax owed. If they come clean they will be charged an additional 10 per cent to 20 per cent of what they owe as a penalty.

However, Revenue & Customs has said that the same deal can be broadly applied to those in other industries coming forward with a disclosure.

So, it seems if you don't declare you income and evade tax, you will get a lesser punishment that us; who fully delcared all our income and were told what we were doing was perfectly legal.

My accured interest is around 30% of my tax owed (reduced by having a CTD for the last 2 years).

So, can this rule apply to us if we choose to 'come clean'? Could save some people a huge amount in interest.
                    Come clean how? Everything has already been declared.

Comment

The Great Tax Gap

I posted this on the loans thread also but did anyone see "the great tax gap" on TV last night?? Don't know if it's repeated but worth a watch if it is!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X