• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linked in

I may be reading far too much into this, but checked my Linked in profile this weekend and had a look at who had been viewing my profile recently.

It seems an 'Advisor' at HMRC had viewed my profile last week, having a look there a load of types of advisor there, though there was a Tax Policy advisor was listed.

It might be interesting if others checked their Linkedin profiles to see if there has been any HMRC activity
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

If you're that curious, you could cough up the subscription and find the actual identify of the person that viewed your profile.

Comment

How can you view these stats?

Originally posted by portseven View Post
        I may be reading far too much into this, but checked my Linked in profile this weekend and had a look at who had been viewing my profile recently.

It seems an 'Advisor' at HMRC had viewed my profile last week, having a look there a load of types of advisor there, though there was a Tax Policy advisor was listed.

It might be interesting if others checked their Linkedin profiles to see if there has been any HMRC activity
        How can I check this? Do I need more than just the basic account?

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
          How can I check this? Do I need more than just the basic account?
          Your basic account will tell you the names of people in your network who have viewed your profile, as well as some generic info about people outside of your network who have viewed your profile. So 'Advisor' at HMRC
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

nothing on my linked in, could just be someone who knows someone in your network being nosey and checking out who they know...

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              nothing on my linked in, could just be someone who knows someone in your network being nosey and checking out who they know...

True

So of the 10 people at HMRC that Linked in gives me as possible viewer matches, 2 are IT people, 1 is unknown, the rest are either 'Tax Policy Advisor's' or 'Policy Advisor's'

Comment

2008 / 2009 enquiry

Anyone else had a letter from MontP stating that HMRC have asked for copies of bank statements for 2008 – 2009??

I have no problem providing the information but in this age of identity theft it really irks me that HMRC can demand copies and that nothing should be deleted (i.e. bank account, sort code, etc). Knowing how incompetent HMRC are they’ll simply dump them in the bin once they’re finished with them and before you know it my identity will be ripped off by some criminal and I’ll never be able to travel or work again!!

Comment

this maybe a very long shot, but you dont think that there is a slight possiblity that the reason the COA is taking its time is because there is something in the budget to revoke all of this so will wipe out any need for them to make a judgement?? After all its only round the corner (3 weeks away) and they have taken a very long time....and there are simplifications of the tax system due shortly....

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                    this maybe a very long shot, but you dont think that there is a slight possiblity that the reason the COA is taking its time is because there is something in the budget to revoke all of this so will wipe out any need for them to make a judgement?? After all its only round the corner (3 weeks away) and they have taken a very long time....and there are simplifications of the tax system due shortly....
                    Nice idea, but you think it would be in our favor. . . . ?

Prob another BN66 style ruling designed to feck us all up. . .

LL

Comment

Originally posted by Lazylobster View Post
                      Nice idea, but you think it would be in our favor. . . . ?

Prob another BN66 style ruling designed to feck us all up. . .

LL
                      Maybe it's not a such a mad idea. HMRC have been able to introduce other retrospecive legislation on the back of section 58. If HMRC ultimately lose, and the retrospection of s.58 has to be repealed, then they will have lost a very powerful tool. It may be preferable for s.58 to be re-written by HMRC, rather than by the courts - if it is struck down by the courts then those other retrospective measures are in doubt, that is not the case of Parliament changes the law.

It may be a case of give away £200m (that they'll never manage to collect) in order to collect even more from others.

Note how the civil service let down the foreign secretary over the Libyan evacuation last week - officials are being "moved around" due to this. That may signal that the civil service do not have the power they used to have with the last government. They let their minister be humiliated on tv, and now they are feeling the result...
                      There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Working...
                      X