• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Are you certain? HMRC will charge for extra NI conts if they are successful in their quest. So, although the extra contributions paid wont lessen the tax liable, it will offset to some degree the increased NI bill.

Im no longer SE.
    HMRC will charge Class 4 NIC - a percentage based on your income from self-employment.

You are currently paying the flat rate, Class 2 NIC which has nothing to do with your income.

It is pointless, these Class 2 contributions will not be set against what you owe.

Comment

I have also contiunued to pay these even though I have not lived in the UK for 6 years now, I presumed if I continued to pay these I would still be entitled to a state pension should I return to the uk, is this not the case? if so I should really claim these back now!

Comment

Hi, I did work through Montpellier in 2007. My exposure isnt huge but I cant affort to pay it. I am still getting letters from HMRC and I spoke with them tonight. They said they will start pursuing me for the money and go to the next level. They said if I can supply evidence of a pending court case or appeal that they would wait on persuing the money. But I dont have any details and there is nothing her that supplies it.

What are people doing? Just holding of paying the demand? Or have people generally caved in and started paying?

What is the current recommendation? I have not recently spoken to anyone at Montpelier. I dont even think I have there contact details anymore.

Can someone give me contact details and give me a head up on what I should be doing. I can probably take a bank loan and pay the demand if needs be.

Kadi

Comment

Originally posted by Kadi View Post
          Hi, I did work through Montpellier in 2007. My exposure isnt huge but I cant affort to pay it. I am still getting letters from HMRC and I spoke with them tonight. They said they will start pursuing me for the money and go to the next level. They said if I can supply evidence of a pending court case or appeal that they would wait on persuing the money. But I dont have any details and there is nothing her that supplies it.

What are people doing? Just holding of paying the demand? Or have people generally caved in and started paying?

What is the current recommendation? I have not recently spoken to anyone at Montpelier. I dont even think I have there contact details anymore.

Can someone give me contact details and give me a head up on what I should be doing. I can probably take a bank loan and pay the demand if needs be.

Kadi
          If you have had a demand, it's probably a closure notice. Montpelier need to appeal it for you.

You need to contact NW or TQ at Montpelier -
          Last edited by Cosmo; 23 February 2011, 09:36. Reason: Removed email addy to avoid a tonne of junk mail going their way!

Comment

Originally posted by Kadi View Post

Kadi
            You really, really need to get in touch with MP. If you don't HMRC will walk on you. MP will put in the appeal on your behalf and they have all been accepted. Do not talk to HMRC. I will PM NWs telephone number to you. No-one knows how things re going to turn out in the next few weeks, so if you can take any defensive measures, like getting the bank to approve an bank loan for you to draw down down if needed, then that's probably a wise move. There may be some time to run yet, we just don't know.

Just noticed Cosmo has given you the email addresses, and I don't seem to be able to message you anyway, so good luck!
            Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 22 February 2011, 22:16.

Comment

On the subject of self employed NI contributions, if you are not working you can ask for exemption, but this may affect the amount of your pension in the future.

You should contact the pension forecasting office to check whether you have made enough contributions to qualify for a full state pension. If not, it may be worth continuing to pay a few quid a month to ensure that when you retire, you get the full state pension.

Of course, the retirement age will probably be 90+ by the time we get round to it
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Montpelier contact number

Worth making a note of. You never know when you might need it!

0161 831 6440

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo View Post
                  HMRC will charge Class 4 NIC - a percentage based on your income from self-employment.

You are currently paying the flat rate, Class 2 NIC which has nothing to do with your income.

It is pointless, these Class 2 contributions will not be set against what you owe.

OK thanks. Better cancel the DD then and await a further angry letter from the HMRC gob tulipes.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    OK thanks. Better cancel the DD then and await a further angry letter from the HMRC gob tulipes.
                    And don't forget to claim back your overpayments, as WhatEver suggested.

Comment

Still no news......

Grrrr...... Still NO news and NO indication on how long it may take.
                      SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

Working...
                      X