• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clownfish View Post
    I'm sure its all sunshine down under... but its worth noting that the Aussie gov/ATO has in the past also used "ex post facto" changes regarding tax laws. See my previous post(s) if in doubt.
    They also have the equivalent of IR35, its called the PSI test.

And cost of living is astronomical compared to UK with the current relative strengths of the two currencies!

Using the internation standard for comparison i.e. a pint

Currently in any major Auz city centre you will pay approx $11, given the exchange rate is currently ~1.6 then thats a cool 6.875GBP!

Dont get me wrong its a fantasic place to live but cheap defintely not and wages probably dont compare too well either, still I'd rather be here then blighty!

Comment

And another HMRC story

HMRC tax raid hits elderly and weak | Mail Online

HMRC = not fit for purpose.

They're a shambles.

Comment

sounds very similar to us!!!

Last week, HMRC said it would pursue another 450,000 cases from the 2007/08 tax year. But Ms Clark says: 'They must have had all the information available to be able to issue demands now, but they failed to act on the information and allowed more than two years to elapse. In that case, taxpayers can claim exceptional circumstances

Taxpayers who made all the relevant information available to HMRC can appeal against demands under a clause known as Extra Statutory Concession A19. This clause, buried on page 15,914 of the tax book, was highlighted by Money Mail in September last year.
        It states that where taxpayers believed their tax code was correct and HMRC had all the relevant information but failed to act on it, the tax demands should be written off.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1BTNXal00
        Read more: HMRC tax raid hits elderly and weak | Mail Online

i'd be happy with 2 years, they should think themselves lucky!!! Concession A19 sounds interesting, I assume this could be our next steps should the COA go against us
        Last edited by smalldog; 19 January 2011, 09:45.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
          I know I've banged on about this a bit...

But seriously, if you don't like the tax regime here move!

Australia is in dire need of skilled people.

I believe the ATO policy states that they are obliged to have a starting position that your submissions are correct and the burden of proving them incorrect lies with the ATO.
          The ATO is far from warm and fuzzy - Look at what they recently put Hoges through, and he a great Australian.

As a British Australian I've fled to a some what more alpine local. Too hot in Australia anyway either drought or flood - That and they took our rights to firearms away long ago. You think UK is a nanny state look at Australia pretty much all fireworks are banned and it's made nearly impossible to arm yourself. Illegal to ride a bike without a helmet etc... The worst traits of UK and US.

Much as Australians love the idea of being the Ned Kelly, Chopper type outlaw hardman they have become pussies. Soon to be a client state of China and India.
          Last edited by kbob; 19 January 2011, 10:18.

Comment

Extra Statutory Concession A19

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            sounds very similar to us!!!

Last week, HMRC said it would pursue another 450,000 cases from the 2007/08 tax year. But Ms Clark says: 'They must have had all the information available to be able to issue demands now, but they failed to act on the information and allowed more than two years to elapse. In that case, taxpayers can claim exceptional circumstances

Taxpayers who made all the relevant information available to HMRC can appeal against demands under a clause known as Extra Statutory Concession A19. This clause, buried on page 15,914 of the tax book, was highlighted by Money Mail in September last year.
            It states that where taxpayers believed their tax code was correct and HMRC had all the relevant information but failed to act on it, the tax demands should be written off.

i'd be happy with 2 years, they should think themselves lucky!!! Concession A19 sounds interesting, I assume this could be our next steps should the COA go against us
            Did a quick search on A19:

5. Reasonable belief that your tax
            affairs were in order
            a. Lastly comes the most difficult
            condition namely
            i. HMRC will consider the facts and
            circumstances of any claim that this
            concession should apply and
            ii. decide whether it was reasonable for
            you to believe (prior to receiving the Tax
            Calculation) that your tax affairs were in
            order.
            b. This therefore shows that an officer
            who may have been involved in not making
            use of information has to sit down and
            admit that they got it wrong.

It therefore requires judgment and an
            individual revenue officer will inevitably
            have a differing view of what is needed to
            show something and also may well not
            believe that it was reasonable even though
            everybody else does.

As HMRC’s internal guidance instructions
            to their staff says:-
            “ The important point to remember is
            • Not whether the taxpayer
            ‘believed’ their tax affairs were in
            order
            But
            • Whether it was reasonable for
            them to ‘hold the belief’ that they were

It is not the first time that I have seen
            HMRC officers interpreting reasonableness
            in a different way to other beings and the
            instruction requires HMRC staff to make
            a judgment twice.

Not only whether the taxpayer truly or
            reasonably believed their affairs were in
            order BUT also whether it was reasonable
            for them to hold that belief. Wow what
            scope for taking a hard and questioning
            view!!. Look out for the looking at matters
            from a completely different perspective.
            Now TWO chances to get it wrong again.
            I see the main problem that the person deciding would be a HMRC officer, but can anyone see any reason why I shouldn't give it a try?

Comment

Investigation into 2008/2009 tax return

Just received a letter from HMRC letting me know this tax return was under investigation. Showed short term interest free loan... Don't know why I thought this would be accepted by HMRC.
              Anyone else had one of these letters ?

Comment

Originally posted by Leyther70 View Post
                They also have the equivalent of IR35, its called the PSI test.

And cost of living is astronomical compared to UK with the current relative strengths of the two currencies!

Using the internation standard for comparison i.e. a pint

Currently in any major Auz city centre you will pay approx $11, given the exchange rate is currently ~1.6 then thats a cool 6.875GBP!

Dont get me wrong its a fantasic place to live but cheap defintely not and wages probably dont compare too well either, still I'd rather be here then blighty!
                that is why I am here....

When i first moved here i could save more than i earnt in australia....

That has changed a bit now with GBP being so weak....

I haven't been back for a while bit $11 for a pint seems a bit rich!... Where the hell were you drinking? The Ritz?

Comment

Originally posted by thincat View Post
                  Just received a letter from HMRC letting me know this tax return was under investigation. Showed short term interest free loan... Don't know why I thought this would be accepted by HMRC.
                  Until recently (not sure of dates) directors loans were not legal. Think there was some willingness to look past things under 5k as long as they were short term.

The problem is your loan appears to have crossed a financial year. HMRC will want to charge you tax for this.....

How much was the loan?

Comment

Loan letter

Originally posted by thincat View Post
                    yes I got one at the weekend, asking Montp for more information. I also thought loans were ok up to 9th December 2010 when they changed the law (prospectively).

Comment

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
                      Did a quick search on A19:

I see the main problem that the person deciding would be a HMRC officer, but can anyone see any reason why I shouldn't give it a try?
                      We as individuals believe without doubt that out Tax forms and Tax Affairs were in order as they were submitted by 'Tax professionals' on our behalf.
                      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Working...
                      X