• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
    They will have to go after all those big stars, or the government will be accused of favouring the rich and famous over fairly ordinary people.
    Julian Assange has or is about to release details of wealthy tax evaders (not avoiders) many of which are politicians. I hope some of our friends are on the list...

Julian Assange vows to reveal tax details of 2,000 wealthy people | Media | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      One final point on this topic.

If BR is likely then you might as well throw any spare cash you can lay your hands on to hire the best Brief possible.

After all, if BR does happen then this spare cash would only end up going to HMRC.
      Very good point for anybody going to bankruptcy.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        I have to agree with Richard. Talking to HMRC is a definite no-no as it may prejudice our case.
        Not only that but you could find :
        A. Yourself in court for punching them. OR
        B. Yourself in M&S for new trousers after incontinence brought on by laughing so much. OR
        C. Yourself sucked down to Hell if they are indeed Beelzebub.

Comment

I know I've banged on about this a bit...

But seriously, if you don't like the tax regime here move!

Australia is in dire need of skilled people.

I believe the ATO policy states that they are obliged to have a starting position that your submissions are correct and the burden of proving them incorrect lies with the ATO.

Comment

IVA's

Ok folks, had a good chat with a chap at IVA.com, he referred me to a lady insolvency practitioner who is apparently expert in dealing with HMRC. here is the link to her page:

Melanie Giles, IVA Insolvency Practioner

In a nutshell, if you have assets that could be sold/remortgaged to pay HMRC you have a slim chance of HMRC agreeing to an IVA if they are the only creditor. But she has a wealth of experience in dealing with these aholes so knows the ins and outs of what they will and wont agree too.

However each case is judged on its own merits so if you did want to do some digging then it couldnt be a bad thing to be informed about next steps should the worst happen....

Im doing as much digging for info as I can so at least I can implement some kind of plan should we eventually lose.

if you do contact her mention you were referred by [Mod snipped] KW

[Mod] PM smalldog if you want his full name for referral purposes....[/Mod]

Comment

CUK article

Contractor tax firm to sue over Revenue raid :: Contractor UK

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
                I know I've banged on about this a bit...

But seriously, if you don't like the tax regime here move!

Australia is in dire need of skilled people.

I believe the ATO policy states that they are obliged to have a starting position that your submissions are correct and the burden of proving them incorrect lies with the ATO.
                I'm sure its all sunshine down under... but its worth noting that the Aussie gov/ATO has in the past also used "ex post facto" changes regarding tax laws. See my previous post(s) if in doubt.

Comment

I hope they sue them into the ******* ground.

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
                    Julian Assange has or is about to release details of wealthy tax evaders (not avoiders) many of which are politicians. I hope some of our friends are on the list...

Julian Assange vows to reveal tax details of 2,000 wealthy people | Media | The Guardian
                    Don't suppose WikiLeaks has anything that might interest us? Good for Assange, outing the hypocrites. Might be very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                      I hope they sue them into the ******* ground.
                      Either that, or we could hope the country implodes on itself from hyper-inflation.

Give it time and a bit of currency devaluation, and I'll be able to pay the alledged HMRC debt with my silvery cutlery set.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X