• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online SelfAssessment

With all this talk of closure notices, I am a bit concerned because my post service is really awful. I believe I may have a couple of years which have not been served with closure notices as yet. Am I right in thinking that if they do issue a closure notice then it is also reflected in the outstanding balance on the online self assement website?

Comment

Originally posted by MrX View Post
      Am I right in thinking that if they do issue a closure notice then it is also reflected in the outstanding balance on the online self assement website?
      I just checked with MP, and yes it should appear in your online statement.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        The longer the judges are taking the more encouraged I am, they obviously dont feel its a slam dunk for HMRC to have taken so long....
        Most CoA judgments are handed down within 4-6 weeks but tax cases do seem to take longer than average.

Ours may also take longer because they're having to decide two separate cases, based on entirely different areas of law, at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Most CoA judgments are handed down within 4-6 weeks but tax cases do seem to take longer than average.

Ours may also take longer because they're having to decide two separate cases, based on entirely different areas of law, at the same time.
          Is there a time limit by which we can expect a judgement to be handed down?

Comment

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
            Is there a time limit by which we can expect a judgement to be handed down?
            Not as far as I know.

I came across another case involving HMRC which has been awaiting a decision since late July.

Comment

parliament misled

Originally posted by seadog View Post
              Dawn Primarolla made that original statement in 2004 and it referred only to employment loopholes, but this was used by Jane Kennedy in trying to justify the retrospective element of S58 whcih was a much wider than jsut employmetn and as you say goes back not only to 2004 but actually to 2001.

This is just another example of how parliament was misled.
              Should we not ask the parliamentary watchdog to investigate if Jane Kennedy misled parliament?

Comment

Complaint to the Ombudsman

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
                Should we not ask the parliamentary watchdog to investigate if Jane Kennedy misled parliament?
                If the CoA fails, appealing to the Ombudsman is a plan B option under consideration. No point in pressing that button until we know the outcome of the appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  I just checked with MP, and yes it should appear in your online statement.
                  Thanks DR.

Comment

Remember

The only thing which has kept the wolves from the door for the past two and a half years is the legal challenge.

If the current appeal is lost then HMRC may hold off pending further appeals, eg. to the Supreme Court, although even this should not be taken for granted.

Please be under no illusions whatsoever though.

Nothing, let me repeat nothing, other than further legal action will deter them from enforcing collection.

Complaining to some Watchdog or Ombudsman will not stop them.
                    Last edited by Potius sero quam numquam; 10 January 2011, 17:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Potius sero quam numquam View Post
                      It is 12 months since the Hight Court defeat.

It is 2 years and 6 months since s.58 became law.

It will be 3 years in March since BN66 was first announced.

Hopefully people have put this time to good use, making contingency plans etc.

If not, and in the words of the French novelist Antoine de Saint-Exupery...

It's never too late to do something.
                      Hi there. Welcome to the forum. Are you personally affected by BN66?

Comment

Working...
                      X