• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Sorry but I think those figures are wildly exaggerated and gives people false reasoning to believe Montp wont conceed defeat at some stage because of all these 'lost fees.'

The payback to MontP is only about 1.5 - 3% tops
    if HMRC's figures are to be believed then they are probably looking at circa 6 big ones...

However their entire business credibility is at stake here which Im sure is a lot more valuable than 6 mil

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      Sorry but I think those figures are wildly exaggerated and gives people false reasoning to believe Montp wont conceed defeat at some stage because of all these 'lost fees.'

The payback to MontP is only about 1.5 - 3% tops
      And this is money that they don't have. i.e. they don't have to take it out of their bank account. I think it's a mistake to believe that they will defend this purely for the possible pay-off that they might get. MP expected this money to be rolling in every year, it hasn't happened, they will already have factored this in. Nope, we have to put our faith in them because they have a reputation to defend, that some of their major clients would not look too favourably on a company that chickens out when the going gets tough. They have been true to their word so far, I have no reason to doubt them, they have to see this fight through, but they owe it to us to ensure they pursue it with the same tenacity.

Comment

Panaroma "Are you paying to much Tax"

Not sure if this has already been posted.

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: Are You Paying Too Much Tax?
        SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

Hope (and pray!) for the best BUT prepare for the worst

Whilst I think it's good to try and stay upbeat I hope everyone is also preparing themselves mentally for the worst.

Unlike after the complete shock of the High Court no-one should have any expectations this time.

We should also remind ourselves that we are seeking to overturn the Will of Parliament which by any measure is a monumental mountain to climb.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post
            Whilst I think it's good to try and stay upbeat I hope everyone is also preparing themselves mentally for the worst.

Unlike after the complete shock of the High Court no-one should have any expectations this time.

We should also remind ourselves that we are seeking to overturn the Will of Parliament which by any measure is a monumental mountain to climb.
            I agree with the sentiment, but also important to bear in mind that from both a moral and technical perspective we are actually right! As quite often happens, parliament have made a mistake and as quite often happens even more frequently, HMRC have acted either mistakenly or dishonestly. I believe that right will prevail in the end.

Comment

Constitutional Duty

Originally posted by loser View Post
              I agree with the sentiment, but also important to bear in mind that from both a moral and technical perspective we are actually right! As quite often happens, parliament have made a mistake and as quite often happens even more frequently, HMRC have acted either mistakenly or dishonestly. I believe that right will prevail in the end.
              Justice must prevail. The people of the United Kingdom must be protected from governments, politicians, "civil servants" who believe that their moral direction (on any given issue) is so "right" that the ends justify the means.

If we allow retrospective changes to the law thereby creating permanent universal uncertainty as to the eventual effective tax treatment of any arrangement, or indeed a general anti avoidance rule based on HMRC or a judges inference as to motive, then we will have become slaves in a police state and no democratic process (even if elections are maintained) can protect us from the political and administrative classes.

Time for a British Teaparty - a bonfire of the corruption that sits at the heart of this issue: the state was our servant - now it is seeking to be our master.

FightBack to the Supreme Court and then beyond the heart of the political process.

Comment

Originally posted by FightBack View Post
                Justice must prevail. The people of the United Kingdom must be protected from governments, politicians, "civil servants" who believe that their moral direction (on any given issue) is so "right" that the ends justify the means.

If we allow retrospective changes to the law thereby creating permanent universal uncertainty as to the eventual effective tax treatment of any arrangement, or indeed a general anti avoidance rule based on HMRC or a judges inference as to motive, then we will have become slaves in a police state and no democratic process (even if elections are maintained) can protect us from the political and administrative classes.

Time for a British Teaparty - a bonfire of the corruption that sits at the heart of this issue: the state was our servant - now it is seeking to be our master.

FightBack to the Supreme Court and then beyond the heart of the political process.
                Agreed. Whatever it takes, after all, most of us have nothing to lose. And people with nothing to lose can be very effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Squicker View Post
                  Agreed. Whatever it takes, after all, most of us have nothing to lose. And people with nothing to lose can be very effective.
                  My sentiments entirely this retrospective malarkey is just plain wrong unjust and precarious. Let's at least hope that members of this forum and others can stick together with or without the Support of MP and demand that we have some common sense and stability introduced into our convoluted Tax System.

Its time for the Government and HMRC to wake up 'you have it all wrong' !!!
                  MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
                    My sentiments entirely this retrospective malarkey is just plain wrong unjust and precarious. Let's at least hope that members of this forum and others can stick together with or without the Support of MP and demand that we have some common sense and stability introduced into our convoluted Tax System.

Its time for the Government and HMRC to wake up 'you have it all wrong' !!!
                    Even if there's a lack of support from MP, and let's not forget what they told DR - and they've kept their word to date - there's some 2000 people affected by this, is that right? A substantial fighting fund could be generated at little personal cost if everyone stuck together. Many people have taken on the 'might of the state' and won, tortured detainees, photographers illegally harassed, citizens illegally searched...The list is endless. Often people only get justice when taken to Europe, but they do get justice in the end.

I still feel what is right will prevail, we just have to keep at it.
                    Last edited by Squicker; 15 November 2010, 07:34.

Comment

I Agree 100%

Originally posted by FightBack View Post

Do you know what - this is exactly what I have been thinking... Its time to stand up and be counted... The core is rotten -these multi millionaire politicians are bending the rules but when Joe Public joins in - all of a sudden its a different story - I feel a revolution brewing...

Comment

Working...
                      X