• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by portseven View Post
    All the public sector workers who will be out of a job if the Tories get in!
    And there are a lot more of them since Labour came in.

Comment

Talking of numbers

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      There's 175 BILLION reasons not to vote Labour. And for us personally, about 200 million!

And that's not even the National Debt.

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

We could use our gold reserves if needed. Oops, Gordo blew a ton of that away for a knock down price.

Comment

The "problem" is that the pain isn't being spread around in this recession.

For those in the public sector, it's a boom time. They have low mortgages, inflation is (was) low, they had a reasonable pay deal, there have been no threat of layoffs - and their pensions are safe.

The past 2 years haven't been better in the public sector. They don't understand what all the fuss is about and think that Gordo has saved the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
          There's 175 BILLION reasons not to vote Labour. And for us personally, about 200 million!

And that's not even the National Debt.

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

We could use our gold reserves if needed. Oops, Gordo blew a ton of that away for a knock down price.
          Seriously, if they win again, the country's had it, the only reason there hasn't been a run on the pound and mass exodus of business and investment from these shores already is what looked a good chance of a Tory victory. also, you can forget there ever being a Tory government again, Nu-labour will make sure of it. We are heading into dangerous waters.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Yep exactly! Maybe that's part of Labour strategy, employ a load of people so they vote for you!
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I cannot believe that Labour have reduced the Tories lead to 2% - it makes be despair for democracy, I just cannot understand these people.

One reason may be that for people in work, the recession has been quite good, low interest rates, good offers in the shops etc - this will end soon but by then it will be too late Gordon may still be in No.10
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

HMRC not allowed to read this... Any inspectors please shut your eyes now...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge Parker, bless his little cotton socks, said something along the lines
                of "Because of Padmore, we should have been able to anticipate the possibility of retrospection."

In other words, BN66 is not really retrospective, presumably retrospection only really being so where the change to the law is unforseeable.

Got me thinking.

Doesn't that mean we deliberately chose to fail to anticipate a possible, indeed probable, retrospective change to the law, i.e., knowingly broke the law, because we knowingly participated in a scheme which we should have aniticipated would become illegal in the future - back-dated to the past.

In which case, can HMRC not do a Redkappp on us, i.e., prosecute us for tax evasion, aka "cheating the public revenue"?

Or was Judge Parker talking out of his jurisprudent arse?
                Last edited by TheBarCapBoyz; 1 March 2010, 10:48.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
                  HMRC not allowed to read this... Any inspectors please shut your eyes now...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge Parker, bless his little cotton socks, said something along the lines
                  of "Because of Padmore, we should have been able to anticipate the possibility of retrospection."

In other words, BN66 is not really retrospective, presumably retrospection only really being so where the change to the law is unforseeable.

Got me thinking.

Doesn't that mean we deliberately chose to fail to anticipate a possible, indeed probable, retrospective change to the law, i.e., knowingly broke the law, because we knowingly participated in a scheme which we should have aniticipated would become illegal in the future - back-dated to the past.

In which case, can HMRC not do a Redkappp on us, i.e., prosecute us for tax evasion, aka "cheating the public revenue"?

Or was Judge Parker talking out of his jurisprudent arse?
                  I do remember HMRC's brief suggesting that S58 isn't retrospective since HMRC had the forethought to start enquiries, do nothing for 8 years except keep our tax returns open, ie in his opinion those tax years are still current!
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
                    Seriously, if they win again, the country's had it, the only reason there hasn't been a run on the pound and mass exodus of business and investment from these shores already is what looked a good chance of a Tory victory. also, you can forget there ever being a Tory government again, Nu-labour will make sure of it. We are heading into dangerous waters.
                    Check out the GBPUSD today. Its sunk 400 pips!

Lows of 1.4781 so far.

Spring is in the air and my alledged tax debt feels a bit lighter today.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

election

For some reason Im expecting Gordie to announce the general election today, dont ask me why....

Comment

Working...
                      X