• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swede View Post
    Presumably Elvin does hear about what gets written here from time to time? It would be a shame to let such good points fall by the wayside....
    Elvin will hear at least when this forum gets quoted verbatum in court ... and can I just say again for the record ... HMRC = arse

Comment

Do you think that guy Davis who was in charge knew the impact BN66 would have when he proposed it?

I know they're vindictive <unts but surely no-one in their right mind would want their name on something that was going to bankrupt loads of people and turf familes out of their homes?

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post
        Do you think that guy Davis who was in charge knew the impact BN66 would have when he proposed it?

I know they're vindictive <unts but surely no-one in their right mind would want their name on something that was going to bankrupt loads of people and turf familes out of their homes?
        Did I miss something? Surely there is already a long signatory list to that claim? Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Stephen Timms, Jackie Kennedy, Alan Brannigan, and yes, Mr MacDonald and Mr Davis too. And by retaining a position of deliberate non-involvement people like David Gauke are trying hard to add their names too.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
          Did I miss something? Surely there is already a long signatory list to that claim? Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Stephen Timms, Jackie Kennedy, Alan Brannigan, and yes, Mr MacDonald and Mr Davis too. And by retaining a position of deliberate non-involvement people like David Gauke are trying hard to add their names too.
          Since we're talking legislation, ultimately Ministers carry the can.

Jane Kennedy was the Treasury Secretary in charge of BN66. Since leaving office, she has attempted to distance herself from it by claiming she wasn't aware of the hardship it might cause. Personally, I don't buy that.

Alistair Darling, as Chancellor, personally signed it off on 7th March 2008. Whether he was aware of what he was approving who knows, but ignorance is hardly an excuse.

However, I still pin most of the blame on HMRC. It was them that hatched the plan and many of us believe they deliberately and wilfully misled Parliament in the process.
          Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 21 October 2010, 12:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post

DD,

With all due respect, they do not give a flying Gibson SG about you or your family. Accept that and move on.....

In the words of the great Christina Aguilera, we need to get very dirty in fight fire with uranium.

SL
            - SL -

Comment

Criminal may = prison

Originally posted by Johnnycomelately View Post
              All. I've signed up following a letter i have received from HMRC this week. I found this thread via google, and have read all posts since the end of September (date of the MP office raid)

First of all, by way of introduction;

I am not a contractor
              I work in the City
              I am advised by MP (as a derivatives trader)
              I am due before the Tax tribunals in the near future (scheduled for a similar time to your BN66 CoA hearings from what i have read).

For reference, the letter from HMRC said "MP are under criminal investigations....investigating whether certain tax avoidance schemes have been implemented fraudulently". They go on state that they are seeking a postponement in my hearing (and that of other appellants).

Questions i have?
              Who is the 60 year old from MP that was arrested and released?
              Anyone any further information on which particular MP avoidance schemes HMRC have in their sights? (i have read about charity donation schemes, medical industry specific schemes, BN66 etc, but nothing specific).

Also, given my letter from HMRC appears economical with information as to why exactly they are seeking a postponement, I wonder if anyone would like to venture as to the pros & cons of agreeing to such a suggestion. (eg. looking to buy time on all MP schemes even if they only have 1 or 2 in the frame for fraudulent implementation).

Many thanks
              It sounds like you need to take independent legal advice to ensure that the postponement isn't to gather evidence against you.
              Take a look at HMRC press releases with particular attention to the confiscation orders that have been made in 2010 e.g. http://nds.coi.gov.uk/clientmicrosit...9&SubjectId=36 .
              Last edited by Alan Jones; 22 October 2010, 08:04. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by silver_lining View Post
                We need to get very dirty in fight fire with uranium.
                Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
                  Huh?
                  Just a joke ! but we need to play them at their own game and fight dirty.
                  - SL -

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Jones View Post
                    It sounds like you need to take independent legal advice to ensure that the postponement isn't to gather evidence against you.
                    Take a look at HMRC press releases with particular attention to the confiscation orders that have been made in 2010 e.g. http://nds.coi.gov.uk/clientmicrosit...9&SubjectId=36 .
                    Johnnycomelately - ignore any advice from AJ, he is not best placed to give advice or trustworthy.
                    - SL -

Comment

Yes, not sure what relevance a large scale VAT carousel fraud has to Montpelier to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                      X