• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan Jones View Post
    You are missing/evading the Question. Let me quote Justice Parker:
    # Secondly, Mr Elvin QC submits that, unlike in Padmore, HMRC lacked the courage of its convictions (if any) and failed over a long period to take appropriate proceedings in respect of the arrangements. HMRC ought, he argued, to have brought such proceedings and, if HMRC lost - as he maintains was inevitable - Parliament ought, as it did in Padmore, to have allowed the successful taxpayers to retain the fruits of victory. The failure to follow that route made the retrospective legislative response disproportionate.

# However, in my view, the state was not obliged to test the matter first in the courts before enacting legislation, even with retrospective effect. The public policy was of such paramount importance that legislation was necessary in any event to put the position beyond all doubt and to maintain the relevant public policy. Furthermore, for reasons already given, such litigation would probably have been protracted, costly and uncertain. At no time did HMRC indicate to affected taxpayers, including the Claimant, that they could safely rely upon the arrangements. On the contrary, HMRC consistently maintained that the arrangements did not work, and advised taxpayers to pay on account the income tax which HMRC said was properly due. Any prudent taxpayer who followed that advice would not now be prejudiced by the retrospective effect of the legislation. The circumstances here are wholly different from those in Beyeler v Italy (2001) 33 EHRR 52, where the public authorities by their conduct over many years had led the applicant to believe that the state would not exercise a right that it enjoyed, and the later exercise of the right conferred a specific unjust enrichment on the state at the expense of the citizen.

# Nor did HMRC represent, expressly or even impliedly, that legal proceedings would first be pursued before the enactment of any legislation, or that any legislation would not have retrospective effect. In so far as taxpayers may have relied upon the route previously travelled by HMRC and the legislature in Padmore, they did so at their own election and risk.

# Furthermore, taxpayers were not themselves powerless to bring the issue to a head if they so chose. They did not have to wait until HMRC brought proceedings in respect of the arrangements. Section 28A of the Taxes Management Act 1970 is in the following terms:

"28A Completion of enquiry into personal or trustee return

...1) An enquiry under section 9A(1) of this Act is completed when an officer of the Board by notice (a "closure notice") informs the taxpayer that he has completed his enquiries and states his conclusions.

In this section "the taxpayer" means the person to whom notice of enquiry was given.

(2) A closure notice must either-

(a) state that in the officer's opinion no amendment of the return is required, or

(b) make the amendments of the return required to give effect to his conclusions.

(3) A closure notice takes effect when it is issued.

(4) The taxpayer may apply to the Commissioners for a direction requiring an officer of the Board to issue a closure notice within a specified period.

(5) Any such application shall be heard and determined in the same way as an appeal.

(6) The Commissioners hearing the application shall give the direction applied for unless they are satisfied that there are reasonable grounds for not issuing a closure notice within a

specified period."

# It was, therefore, open to any affected taxpayer to apply to the special commissioners for a direction under section 28A (4). If such a direction had been given, and the closure notice had been adverse, the taxpayer would have had an appealable decision. Mr Elvin QC did not suggest that, if such a direction had been sought at a time when HMRC had complete information about the arrangements made by the Claimant, and HMRC had had a reasonable opportunity to consider the legal consequences of such arrangements, an application under section 28A (4) would not have had strong prospects of success. Mr Elvin stressed the relative simplicity of the arrangements and that the Claimant had given complete information about them at a fairly early stage after submission of the first returns. In my view, therefore, the Claimant did not need to wait, but could himself have applied for a direction under section 28A (4), with reasonable prospects of success. If the closure notice had then proved adverse, the Claimant would have had a decision regarding his tax liability which he could have appealed in the usual way.

SO WHY IF YOU WERE SO CERTAIN DID YOU NOT TAKE THIS ROUTE

NEXT
    Oh Alan! You've rather answered your own question really. Why not have another read of what you've posted. Then go and put on your jim-jams and I'll have your horlicks ready.
    There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

The public policy was of such paramount importance that legislation was necessary in any event to put the position beyond all doubt and to maintain the relevant public policy.

Toocan, did you notice this lovely extract again? My emphasis. What Public Policy exactly? Justice Parker seems to have played heavily on this in this statement. Can anyone please tell me where I can find the legal reference to this Public Policy in tax legislation? I've looked everywhere. Even in my daughters bedtime books. Nowt!

If there is some "Public Policy" of such paramount importance, I'd assume it was well documented so everyone knew about it.

FA 1987 (1) - Nope
      FA 1987 (2) - Err, nope
      FA2004 - Nowt
      FA2005 - Nothing obvious
      FA2008 - BN66. No mention of Public Policy

Darn, it must be so important, that it's classified and we'll know in 75 years. What a crock of s**t!

Comment

Good luck one and all (except Alan Jones)

Hi,

Long timer lurker, not caught up in this HMRC debacle but I know plenty that are, a couple of whom are in the 'lose my house' category. I was chatting to a barrister in the week who is very familiar although not directly involved with the case. Their view was, as has been expressed earlier, that the junior judge realised this was all above his paygrade and opened the way to appeal with all the nonsense about 'fairness' rather than the letter of the law being applied.

I too am appalled by the behaviour of both the elected and non-election officials in this mess. I hope that HRMC finally accept that retrospective taxation may be OK to implement in certain situations (as it was with Padmore), to collect under it to the extent that they are seeking is just wrong at so many levels. Once this happens there must surely be a full public enquiry to put measures in place to prevent this abuse of power and wholescale deception of Parliament never to happen again.

Good luck to all you BN66-ers!!!!

Mojito

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
          I have only been following this forum since the get wrenching High court ruling and must admit have become a bit obessed with it. But could someone please explain to exactly what this Alan Jones character has to do in all of this!
          Alan Jones is a bit like the black cloud in Lost, no one really knows what he is all about, not even he understands himself. Nonetheless when he appears, he is a negative force...... he is on 'Jacobs' side, Jacob being HMRC and wants to see women, children and men suffer to serve his own goals....

Avoid if you can, he was seen here at the JR answered or screaming 'present Sir' when his name was mentioned at the JR

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AJZeZjvbe2...os-Nest-10.jpg
          - SL -

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
            ...But could someone please explain to exactly what this Alan Jones character has to do in all of this!
            The only thing worth knowing about him is that he's not the Messiah ... he's a Very Naughty Boy.
            There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

IOM schemes - not MP

First timer on these forums, sorry if this has been asked before - I didn't see it when I searched all the posts on BN66, etc.

Does it make a difference if the output of the trust was never brought back onshore?

Also, I hear about FX schemes, but can't find anyone who acually uses one. Anyone here? Apparently tract management operates something like this (possible this is duff info).

Many thanks

Comment

Gordon Brown on course to win election

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7044185.ece

On the plus side:
                1. The perpetrators of s58 will still be there to answer for it
                2. Any debt to HMRC is more likely to be worthless in 5 years time

The negatives are too numerous to list.
                Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 28 February 2010, 10:22.

Comment

Problem is though that although the debt may be gone we may not have work to feed our families and be worse off.
                  Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7044185.ece

On the plus side:
                    1. The perpetrators of s58 will still be there to answer for it
                    2. Any debt to HMRC is more likely to be worthless in 5 years time

The negatives are too numerous to list.
                    who on earth is voting for that dipsh*t?

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      who on earth is voting for that dipsh*t?
                      All the public sector workers who will be out of a job if the Tories get in!
                      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                      X