• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
    Vallah,
    Perhaps it would similarly be wise if you didn't post on the basis of speculation and rumour, no matter how well-intentioned.
    There are many stressed-out people reading this forum whose livelihoods and marriages are in the balance, and to whom gossip is not helpful. Substantiated facts would be much more palatable.
    Fair enough, but having offered to apologise if what I'd posted turned out to be true (which it was), to then carry on the attack by accusing me of being an HMRC plant is a bit much.

Comment

Smells fishy to me too.
      How low with HMRC stoop?

Answer: as low as it takes.

They've already paid for stolen bank details so they ain't going to think twice about trumping up criminal charges if it's the only way they can gain access to offshore companies.

I think it's about time I changed the Donkey's slogan.

HMRC
      ARE CORRUPT

Comment

Nice to see BolshieBastard living up to his name.

A clue here:

:: Manx Radio :: The Isle of Man's Premier Radio Station ::

Yet again, there is more newspeak blurring between avoidance and evasion. It reminds me of the loyalist politicians in Northern Ireland referring to "Sinn Fein IRA".
        That was my point all along, and why I posted what I did. Whilst on the face of it the raid is not connected with the BN66 appeal, the timing is hardly going to help matters I'd have thought. If the Montpelier lawyers now have to spend time sorting this latest situation out, then that's potentially time they can't spend on the appeal. Also painting MP in a bad light by having them raided wouldn't hurt HMRC's case.

Also working in the industry, my job also depends to a large extent on public perception of the IOM as an offshore centre, and there are a lot of worried people in the industry, even though we've nothing to hide.

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
          That was my point all along, and why I posted what I did. Whilst on the face of it the raid is not connected with the BN66 appeal, the timing is hardly going to help matters I'd have thought. If the Montpelier lawyers now have to spend time sorting this latest situation out, then that's potentially time they can't spend on the appeal. Also painting MP in a bad light by having them raided wouldn't hurt HMRC's case.

Also working in the industry, my job also depends to a large extent on public perception of the IOM as an offshore centre, and there are a lot of worried people in the industry, even though we've nothing to hide.

There seems to be a new phraseology coming out of
          HMRC: 'Fraudulent tax avoidance'. They spoke of it a couple
          of weeks back with the returns they were choosing to
          ignore.

Is this the way to make avoidance illegal, claiming it as fraud?

Comment

Originally posted by donkeyrhubarb View Post
            how low with hmrc stoop?

Answer: As low as it takes.

They've already paid for stolen bank details so they ain't going to think twice about trumping up criminal charges if it's the only way they can gain access to offshore companies.

I think it's about time i changed the donkey's slogan.

hmrc
            are corrupt
            ...or perhaps they're just getting desperate and playing at distraction politics?

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
              ignore.

Could be, and I honestly can't see what they'd be doing that could be classed as fraud. I'm also really annoyed that the IOM authorities appear to have been assisting HMRC in their dirty work. The whole of the IOM economy is based on tax avoidance of one kind or another. None of the banks, insurance companies, CSPs and Big 4 audit firms are here for the weather let's be honest, so if legitimate tax planning disappears, we'll basically end up as deserted as the Isle of Skye or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                ignore.

As I said, "newspeak".
                Might as well criminalise people for putting money away for a rainy day instead of spending it to contribute to VAT revenues.

Comment

Biting the bullet and trying to cover the debt...

Hi All,

Ive mentioned before, but I am a non resident in UK for last few years, but still have a significant debt due to the BN66 retrospection. As much as I feel its all injustice, I just cant let things carry on like it either doesnt matter, or its going to go our way.

It was really just too painful and disappointing last time, and I am not going to let it get to me any longer.

I've decided to bite the bullet and do all I can to cover my liabilities for this fiasco.

I happen to have been fortunate enough to have benefited from the pounds relative weakness in recent times against my chosen countries currency. So, I transfered pretty much what I left of my life's savings to cover off this debt. Im one of the fortunate ones, and well, i am not at risk of losing my home, but I did think seeing my savings account drained would be extremely depressing, I was surprised to find it was actually a serious relief. I encourage everyone to take whatever steps they can to mitigate any shocks if things dont go our way.

As much as I want them to, they may not, and well, companies and people that survive financially troubled times generally do so by planning for the worst case scenario, not the best.

Just thought I'd share that....

Thanks again for everyone on this form. DR cant say thanks enough.

CF

Comment

As I said, "newspeak".
                    Might as well criminalise people for putting money away for a rainy day instead of spending it to contribute to VAT revenues.
                    I would have thought anything of intrinsic value in connection with the COA will be at Elvin's chambers by now. MAybe if they had thought of that 6 months ago but too late for it to have any impact on our lines of attack. Unless of course ours is the worst organised Barrister in the UK and hasnt yet even started to plan out his strategy

Personally I think its a bit of hair pulling on HMRC's part. They must F***ing Hate MP, and will do all they can to bully and intimidate them into quitting and shutting down their operations.

Comment

No chance of that I'd have thought, Montpelier is a huge diversified organisation now.

Comment

Working...
                      X