• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
    It's about time that we do get a 'fair' hearing & a 'fair' result. Unlike that bent b*stard Parker
    Im thinking it must be more difficult for the HMRC bigwigs to get at 3 judges....1 maybe, but not 3...

reminds me of jaws "He can't go down with three barrels (judges)...not with three barrels (judges) on he can't" :-)
    Last edited by smalldog; 27 September 2010, 14:39.

Comment

I don't want to start any conspiracy theories but...

Was it purely chance that we got Parker?

Also, it's probably nothing but the 3 judges assigned to our CoA hearing were changed recently. Back in June it was:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1149465

SIR ANDREW MORRITT (THE CHANCELLOR OF THE HIGH COURT)
      LORD JUSTICE HUGHES
      LORD JUSTICE AIKENS

Now we've got MUMMERY, SMITH and TOMLINSON.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        I don't want to start any conspiracy theories but...

Was it purely chance that we got Parker?

Also, it's probably nothing but the 3 judges assigned to our CoA hearing were changed recently. Back in June it was:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1149465

SIR ANDREW MORRITT (THE CHANCELLOR OF THE HIGH COURT)
        LORD JUSTICE HUGHES
        LORD JUSTICE AIKENS

Now we've got MUMMERY, SMITH and TOMLINSON.
        Strange that all three would be changed - does anyone know what the process of allocated judges is?
        There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Toocan View Post
          Strange that all three would be changed - does anyone know what the process of allocated judges is?
          I searched various judicial sites this afternoon but couldn't find anything on how cases are allocated to particular Judges.

I don't think there can be any question of anyone outside the Judiciary influencing this process but I wonder if Judges themselves have any say in which cases they hear.

Comment

who can blame them, assume these firms are all morally indefensible and Danny boy will be letting them know:

BBC News - Wolseley planning Swiss tax move

Publishing group Informa moved to a Swiss tax base last year, while advertising giant WPP, investment firm Henderson, Shire Pharmaceuticals and United Business Media have all moved their tax residence to the Irish Republic.

Drinks group Diageo and consumer goods company Unilever have also threatened to quit the UK over tax.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              I searched various judicial sites this afternoon but couldn't find anything on how cases are allocated to particular Judges.

I don't think there can be any question of anyone outside the Judiciary influencing this process but I wonder if Judges themselves have any say in which cases they hear.
              Reminds me of the old joke.... "A good barrister knows the law; a great barrister knows the judge".

hehe

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
                Reminds me of the old joke.... "A good barrister knows the law; a great barrister knows the judge".

hehe
                Has Singh got any previous with either 3 of them do we know?

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  Unlikely to get posted on here, but wouldn't Montp legal team do their homework on who the judges are? If they had concerns that the judges are not impartial could they not request another? Similar to a person on trial allowed to reject a jury member?

Saying that if you can Montp certainly didn't pick up on Parker's history.

Comment

Yes but so has our barrister Elvin. Both QCs have been on the circuit a long time so they are bound to have come up against these judges on a few occasions.

Comment

reminds me of jaws
                      In the sense that the number 3 was involved, you mean ?

Boo

Comment

Working...
                      X