• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deckster View Post
    He's barking. Not only will he never be able to come back to the UK, he won't be able to go to any countries with extradition treaties with the UK, which is a very large part of the world indeed. It's not just having to hand over a large cheque; the authorities take a very dim view indeed of this kind of thing and I suspect he'd be looking at jail time if he wasn't very careful.
    As far as life changing events go I think being made bankrupt is less of an upheaval than emigrating!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      As far as life changing events go I think being made bankrupt is less of an upheaval than emigrating!
      Chin up! It won't come to that. The fat lady isn't even clearing her throat yet.
      Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
        Chin up! It won't come to that. The fat lady isn't even clearing her throat yet.
        Thats no way to speak of Dame Leslie!!!! :-)

Comment

What do you all think of the Lib Dems nonsense today? Does that mean they are wrapping up ISA's, Premium Bonds and saving certificates as they are technically Tax avoidance? Are they going to make them retrospective and ask the millions that have them pay back the perceived tax debt? What worries me is that they will use our mess as a green flag to apply more retrospective laws.
          Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
            What do you all think of the Lib Dems nonsense today? Does that mean they are wrapping up ISA's, Premium Bonds and saving certificates as they are technically Tax avoidance? Are they going to make them retrospective and ask the millions that have them pay back the perceived tax debt? What worries me is that they will use our mess as a green flag to apply more retrospective laws.
            I think that everyone who did not speak out, may now find they're coming for them. And i'd agree about the retrospective laws. If they get a green light on this, it'll be easier to do it again, after all, as they'll argue, everyone is now aware that this can be done, without having to debate the merits of Padmore.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
              Watching the Nick Clegg interview on the Andrew Marr show yesterday, Clegg acknowledged that many of the avoidance schemes are legal. I do not see how he intends to claw back the money without using retrospective legislation.

Comment

I do also feel this will initially at least be targetted more towards classic evasion rather than avoidance.

Comment

Anyone see the BBC news this morning??

I didn't see it myself but apparently the Lib Dem Chief Treasury Secretary Danny Alexander was being interviewed and banging on about immoral tax avoiders etc at which point he was asked about the reports that he had renominated his primary residense earlier in the year to avoid paying CGT when he sold it. Apparently his face was a picture, looked really embarrassed then simply denied it!!!

I wish I'd see that!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
                    Anyone see the BBC news this morning??

I didn't see it myself but apparently the Lib Dem Chief Treasury Secretary Danny Alexander was being interviewed and banging on about immoral tax avoiders etc at which point he was asked about the reports that he had renominated his primary residense earlier in the year to avoid paying CGT when he sold it. Apparently his face was a picture, looked really embarrassed then simply denied it!!!

I wish I'd see that!!
                    yep the same thing was in the papers this morning, he used a loophole to avoid the CGT...hypocrite...

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                      I think that everyone who did not speak out, may now find they're coming for them.
                      It certainly seems to have wound up a few Daily Mail readers. Check out the comments at Clegg tax war on better-off: Tens of thousands face 'bully boy' investigations in new crackdown | Mail Online

Comment

Working...
                      X