• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
    Hi Slobbo

Please confirm that your returns for however many years were accepted. What I mean is did HMRC open enquiries into individual years on a timely basis? Or not? You cannot have a closure notice unless your return is under investigation and would thus be "not accepted".

We are looking for examples of people who have had their returns accepted and closed, without investigation or reopening under "discovery". Hope you can help!

Thanks
    Sorry only just seen this. My returns as far as I can remember were not under investigation. I can't remember receiving anything. My closure notice for Y/E 06 dated 22nd April 2009 is the first I saw of this. I am wondering if I can go back to HMRC and ask for all correspondence to me between 06 and april 09. I will get on the phone Friday and see if I can find more out.

Is there any way I can check this?
    Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
      Why does the first post say updates in Red and last update 10th September when nothing is highlighted in RED?
      Sorry if it's confusing but some people only check the first post and worry they may have missed something if I don't update it periodically, even if there is nothing to report.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Sorry if it's confusing but some people only check the first post and worry they may have missed something if I don't update it periodically, even if there is nothing to report.
        Why not put in it "Nothing new to report"
        Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by Slobbo View Post
          Why not put in it "Nothing new to report"
          Done.

Comment

Interest Charges

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
            A new concession will mean many people facing the highest demands for back-tax will not face interest payments.

Those given time to pay more than £2,000 in underpaid tax will now have interest waived - in line with those with smaller demands, MPs were told.

Do we have a precedent set here? Can we legally demand equal treatment?
            I think in this case the interest was going to be charged prospectively if people didn't pay up after 3 months - and it's that which has now been waived. As far as I know there was never any question of back-dated interest such as we are being asked to pay. I think our chances of getting any concession on interest charges (even going forwards) are zero - the outcome of the legal process will be for us to pay all or nothing.

Comment

hehehe, dont usually like the mail but liked this article:

TAX FIASCO: Dave Hartnett shrivelled like an oyster squirted with lemon juice | Mail Online

Comment

You must read this:

MPs accuse tax fiasco HMRC chief Lesley Strathie of arrogance | Mail Online

Strathie's attitude towards "customers" is breathtaking.

However, the lowdown on the Vodafone deal is even more interesting.

Comment

You must read this:

MPs accuse tax fiasco HMRC chief Lesley Strathie of arrogance | Mail Online

Strathie's attitude towards "customers" is breathtaking.

However, the lowdown on the Vodafone deal is even more interesting.
                  The vodafone piece is unbelievable, it makes the case they are bringing against us appear totally out of proportion, inappropriate and vindictive.

Why just let a big corporate like Voda off £6bn for tax avoidance when they have such huge profits and are a cash rich organisation which paying this would mean a reduction in profits but not people losing their homes, marriages breaking down and potential to push people over the edge.

They instead go to such extreme measures and lengths to get a bill through parliament purely to try and recoup a tiny figure in comparison of a quoted £200m (of which they will be lucky to realise £100m), in the knowledge that this will cause extreme hardship in some cases??

Sorry does not compute...

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                    Why just let a big corporate like Voda off £6bn for tax avoidance when they have such huge profits and are a cash rich organisation which paying this would mean a reduction in profits but not people losing their homes, marriages breaking down and potential to push people over the edge.
                    I wonder how many times Vodafone wined & dined Hartnett?

Comment

I wonder how many times Vodafone wined & dined Hartnett?
                      Basically, government run the country in conjunction with big corporations.

Because of this, only small businesses are fair game to HMRC.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X