• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

once again, HMRC cock it up and let other people pay for their mistakes with interest....errrr is nobody in government going to step in and stop this fiasco?? banana republic, Zimbabwe anyone?

BBC News - Tax letters: interest charges for some, says Revenue

some might say this is just yet another cynical way of swelling the coffers. Make a mistake, send out revised bills oh and add some interest on. They end up with more money than they would have if the bills had been correct first time round. Meaning they have no incentive, they actually have more incentive to make mistakes...

Conservative MP Michael Fallon: "People who have underpaid tax should not have been expected to set it aside on the off chance that HMRC might come back and demand it, why should they."

Same applies to us Mr Fallon...
    Last edited by smalldog; 9 September 2010, 14:55.

Comment

I really do hope that this latest fiasco spurs Parliament on to demand an inquiry in to what's really going on inside the bowels of HMRC.

For too long now they have operated behind closed doors with virtually no external scrutiny.

If Gauke had any political nouse he'd keep Hartnett & Co at arms length instead of doing their bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        I really do hope that this latest fiasco spurs Parliament on to demand an inquiry in to what's really going on inside the bowels of HMRC.

For too long now they have operated behind closed doors with virtually no external scrutiny.

If Gauke had any political nouse he'd keep Hartnett & Co at arms length instead of doing their bidding.
        I cant see it doing him any political, or public vote gaining advantage by siding with what appear to be a bunch of incompetent and teflon coated twats. The public already hate HMRC, if he is seen to be their buddy then he's put a rather large Nail in his re-election coffin, particularly with this latest round of cockups.

Labour will blame him for not controlling them when it comes to the next election fight.

and the general public will remember him as siding with the devil

Distancing himself by dragging HMRC over the coals and promising to overhaul HMRC internal governance and procedures, while also getting Hartnett and co. to make public apologies would mitigate this. He can blame Gordie and his mates for this mess, it almost seems everyone is too scared of HMRC goons....even the people who give them jobs!!

Comment

ESC A19

Something worth filing away for later...

Tax chaos Q&A: How to fight HMRC demands - MoneySavingExpert News

"Accountants say there is a little-known clause dug deep in the HMRC rule-book, called the 'Extra Statutory Concession (ESC) A19', which states the Revenue must give up any tax if it has not followed its procedures correctly."

Comment

"Accountants say there is a little-known clause dug deep in the HMRC rule-book, called the 'Extra Statutory Concession (ESC) A19', which states the Revenue must give up any tax if it has not followed its procedures correctly."
            DR that was my point in the posts from yesterday and today. Good job on finding the specific clause tho....filed

Comment

BBC News - Today - HMRC 'at melting point'

Serving tax officer: "HMRC has not been fit for purpose for a very long time. It's now at melting point."
              As we all knew anyway..... (despite the voice reminding me of David Walliams 'Computer says no' character in Little Britain...)

Comment

Who wrote PAYE system for HMRC?

Out of interest, anyone know which IT firm wrote the PAYE system?
                May send them my CV :-)

Comment

Tip of the iceberg

I have just heard from someone, who has a contact "in the know", that HMRC intends to use their "new software" to go back 6 years.

If they do, we might get a repeat of the poll tax riots.

Comment

De-lurking momentarily, DR this is indeed a good find as looking at recent posts it would appear that government and indeed HRMC are tying to position themselves in good stead if they should want to turn public opinion against the likes of us... I would not be surprised if this was their tactic.
                    Let the financial healing commence

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Splash View Post
                      De-lurking momentarily, DR this is indeed a good find as looking at recent posts it would appear that government and indeed HRMC are tying to position themselves in good stead if they should want to turn public opinion against the likes of us... I would not be surprised if this was their tactic.
                      Same - delurking... with info on heavy weight media on the side of the 'victims'...

"The most respectable tax revolt on the airwaves" :
                      The most respectable tax revolt on the airwaves | News

And the actual program : BBC iPlayer - Money Box Live: 08/09/2010

Gauke is coming up with 'concessions' as he can smell bad vibes around this issue... Hope he fails.

Comment

Working...
                      X