• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as if we didnt already know this...nice to hear it from someone else...

BBC News - Six million people in UK have overpaid or underpaid tax

George Mudie, a Labour MP and member of the Treasury Select Committee, told the BBC he believed there was a case for waiving the debt owed by those who had underpaid.

He said he believed the HMRC had handled the situation badly and unfairly.

He described the HMRC as a "heartless" and "arrogant" organisation and said: "If they want money, they take the money and very rarely are they prepared to consider, even when they make mistakes, not taking the money."

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post

George Mudie, a Labour MP and member of the Treasury Select Committee, told the BBC he believed there was a case for waiving the debt owed by those who had underpaid.

He described the HMRC as a "heartless" and "arrogant" organisation and said: "If they want money, they take the money and very rarely are they prepared to consider, even when they make mistakes, not taking the money."

All very well now he's in opposition of course. Didn't hear him shouting when he was in more of a position to actually do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post

Maybe Judge Parker is a middle aged judge masquerading as a twat.
        Is a Twat someone who tweets ? I am so out of touch with the terminology these days....
        - SL -

Comment

Originally posted by normalbloke View Post
          All very well now he's in opposition of course. Didn't hear him shouting when he was in more of a position to actually do something about it.
          isnt it amazing the difference day makes....i.e. election day. cunch of bunts, all of em...if I even tried to play these childlike games in my work i'd b out of there, how do they do it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by silver_lining View Post
            Is a Twat someone who tweets ? I am so out of touch with the terminology these days....
            Yes.
            Now FaceBook - that's for PghukWhits.

Comment

isnt it amazing the difference day makes....i.e. election day. cunch of bunts, all of em.
              In opposition they are free to state the truth and point out incompetence and corruption wherever they see it (in others ).
              In Government they toe the party line and avoid all responsibility in case they are held accountable - it is Public Service after all.

What a crap system!!

Comment

Could this be considered retrospective taxation? They requested and collected X amount of Tax, then they have realised they actually meant to collect Y amount of Tax
                Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                  Could this be considered retrospective taxation? They requested and collected X amount of Tax, then they have realised they actually meant to collect Y amount of Tax
                  doesnt it also imply they are opening up peoples tax returns (for those that do them) which had up until now been accepted? So yes, it does very much sound like it to me.

Comment

doesnt it also imply they are opening up peoples tax returns (for those that do them) which had up until now been accepted? So yes, it does very much sound like it to me.

I agree. And interestingly the HMRC have the right to waive owed tax :

HM Revenue & Customs: HMRC delays in using information

And according to their own guidelines, this can be done if:

-HMRC failed to make proper use of more than one piece of information received about a source of income

-HMRC allowed tax arrears to build up over two whole tax years in succession – so at least two tax year underpayments are due

There has been no evidence at all the HMRC used the information in our tax returns for seven whole years.
                    If anyone from the HMRC is reading this, then feel free to contradict. FOI certainly didn't bring anything up.

So perhaps it might be worth speaking to Mr Gauke again saying that he can avoid the expense of litigation
                    and just follow his new 'friends ' own rules to STOP THIS OUTRAGE NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                      I agree. And interestingly the HMRC have the right to waive owed tax :

HM Revenue & Customs: HMRC delays in using information

And according to their own guidelines, this can be done if:

-HMRC failed to make proper use of more than one piece of information received about a source of income

-HMRC allowed tax arrears to build up over two whole tax years in succession – so at least two tax year underpayments are due

There has been no evidence at all the HMRC used the information in our tax returns for seven whole years.
                      If anyone from the HMRC is reading this, then feel free to contradict. FOI certainly didn't bring anything up.

So perhaps it might be worth speaking to Mr Gauke again saying that he can avoid the expense of litigation
                      and just follow his new 'friends ' own rules to STOP THIS OUTRAGE NOW.
                      So you mean to tell me they could if they wanted to stop this at their discretion!! I thought they were duty bound to pursue this

Comment

Working...
                      X