• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Sorry and no disrespect but how on earth can either of you come to that conclusion? We've had IR35 hanging over everyone of us since 2001 whether we've been investigated or not and whether HMRC have won or not (mostly not, thank god!).

Put simply, HMRC are not bothered about 'embarrassment' or 'having a fight on their hands' etc. They dont give a **** about either of those things. All they are concerned with is taking as much tax take as they can and forcing as many SE people towards employment or compliance as is possible.

The sooner people dump the idea that HMRC are bothered on jot about appearring as a nicey nicey Government Department, the better
    I'm with you on this BB - they couldn't give a stuff how much public money they waste in the courts chasing people and they never getting shamed in public when they get it wrong, so no issue for them.

Comment

Originally posted by AJDUK View Post
      First time post; in the scheme from the start and I'm already on DR's radar. Have CTD's covering the whole amount because I put 39% of everything I earned from MTM away in savings assuming it wasn't mine until future challenges either came or didn't.
      How did you come up with the figure of 39% ?

Comment

Originally posted by SLB View Post
        I'm with you on this BB - they couldn't give a stuff how much public money they waste in the courts chasing people and they never getting shamed in public when they get it wrong, so no issue for them.

Bolshie, my point is they will be annoyed they havent got their hands on the cash yet, I expect they thought it was a slam dunk once the legislation went through. They wont be embarrassed no, and of course I dont think they give a flying F***, but they will be extremely irritated this isnt closed yet and that we dare challenge them....so im afraid you missed my point....and knowing that they are probably pissed off with us lot gives me a certain amount of pleasure....

Lofted, you also missed the point of my post, I didnt say they care a sh*t and would be red faced, just infuriated by us kicking up some dust and not rolling over and paying like good little servants
        Last edited by smalldog; 16 August 2010, 10:57.

Comment

CTD and (lack of) Interest

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share something with you in case anyone was looking into getting a CTD.

I've been looking at the following link:
          HM Revenue & Customs: The Certificate of Tax Deposit scheme

and discovered that HMRC don’t pay any interest AT ALL for CTD’s under £100k

“When interest is not due
          From 5 December 2008 there's no interest due against deposits of less that £100,000. This includes weekly or monthly instalments you make that are less than £100,000 each.”

Will have to find a better home for my cash than watching it rot away with hector and his cohorts.

Comment

HMRC should have anticipated a legal challenge.

But what they probably wouldn't have reckoned on is us lot kicking off (hundreds of letters to MPs, No 10 petition, YourFreedom, JCHR, FOI, complaints to ICO etc.)

They may laugh at our "pathetic little campaign" but, at the very least, we may have deterred them from enforcing collection.

I wonder if they would have been so amenable if we'd kept quiet.

Comment

It's only a matter of time until half the HMRC workforce are booted out of their "safe" civil service jobs.

They are already preparing to take the axe to the public sector organisation my wife works for, and this is a department that was told only a week ago that was safe.

So, HMRC bods, if you are reading this. You may feel smug at the moment, but you will soon realise that you are not exempt from losing your home, job and income. In fact your jobs are more at risk than the private sector at the moment.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SLB View Post
                Hi all,

Just thought I'd share something with you in case anyone was looking into getting a CTD.

I've been looking at the following link:
                HM Revenue & Customs: The Certificate of Tax Deposit scheme

and discovered that HMRC don’t pay any interest AT ALL for CTD’s under £100k

“When interest is not due
                From 5 December 2008 there's no interest due against deposits of less that £100,000. This includes weekly or monthly instalments you make that are less than £100,000 each.”

Will have to find a better home for my cash than watching it rot away with hector and his cohorts.
                they F**king amaze me!!! the dice are constantly loaded in their favour, so even if you anticipate you might have to pay tax and lodge any amount of money to offset what they charge you dont get any interest, you just get to sit and watch as inflation eats it away amazing...There doesnt appear to be a single concession to the taxpayer, whichever way you turn they either:

1) they arent obliged to do their jobs properly as there are no financial penalties for them c*cking anything up, unlike the taxpayer who gets fined left right and centre for missing deadlines etc.

2) when they do owe you money you have to plead to get it returned

3) they dont pay you any interest on overdue payments due back to the taxpayer

4) when you try and lodge money to offset any interest accruing on tax that isnt even due yet as its under appeal you dont get any interest unless you read the small print on the £100k payment threshold

5) you get charged interest on money that isnt officialy due as its under appeal

Sorry but who keeps this bunch of C**ts in check and allows them to build such rules???!!!!! Just read they have over taxed to the tune of £238m, nobody will get any compensation for this, no interest etc. how does that work?

Comment

I haven't found it hard to get money owed.

They do. They just sent me an overpayment plus interest.

I'm not sympathising with them or anything......

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post

I haven't found it hard to get money owed.

They do. They just sent me an overpayment plus interest.

I'm not sympathising with them or anything......
                    In which case I stand corrected said the man in the orthopedic shoes. I heard some horror stories of one guy who had to threaten suicide to get his rebate and wasnt aware they pay you interest. I never received any on my rebate....hmmmm more investigation into that one me thinks

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      In which case I stand corrected said the man in the orthopedic shoes. I heard some horror stories of one guy who had to threaten suicide to get his rebate and wasnt aware they pay you interest. I never received any on my rebate....hmmmm more investigation into that one me thinks
                      But then you are clearly still alive and not hanging from the rafters.
                      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Working...
                      X