• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
    It would be great, but if you think joe public gives a monkeys about what has happened to us I think you are very much mistaken. Putting our fate in the hands of the mob would be a very dubious decision!!! I would rather let the courts decide, not the court of public opinion as I know where we stand a better chance.
    Of course Joe Public doesnt care about us, but they do care about business leaving the UK.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      Of course Joe Public doesnt care about us, but they do care about business leaving the UK.
      I wonder whether enough people to matter really are bothered about it? Most people are on PAYE so the concept of business leaving because of uncertainty in the tax system is probably too abstract. Given that as a country we are living off the largesse largely of foreigners to the tune of £178,000,000,000 per year I don't think the reality has yet hit home that radical change is required.

As a country we are complacent and decadent and only a big disaster - e.g. a run on the pound or sovereign debt crisis - will shake the country out of its torpor. The clue to this is how Labour can still be on 30% in the polls. People are worried about spending cuts but the truth is that UK PLC is heading for the rocks and if they think a vote for Labour will save their cushy life funded by the state they are very much mistaken.

Comment

Recent report on tax "overpaid" by older taxpayers.

"Older people now make up 18% of all taxpayers, the report from the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee found, with many of these people receiving multiple sources of income.

However Her Majesty's Revenue and Custom and other tax authorities were ill-prepared to deal with such cases, it was discovered, both in terms of tax rules and levels of customer service.

The result is widespread overpayment of tax. For example, some 1.5 million older people have overpaid tax by £250 million because of the discrepancy between HMRC's records and those of their employers and pension providers.

A further 2.4 million older people have also overpaid around £200 million because they did not have their savings income paid gross of tax, while many more are believed to be failing to claim additional allowances.

I wonder if HMRC will apply the same vigour to give the tax back as they do to collect it from us.

Comment

Originally posted by seadog View Post
          I wonder if HMRC will apply the same vigour to give the tax back as they do to collect it from us.
          The 'grey vote' is quite powerful, as a group they are more likely to vote than any other so they will probably get a refund promised before the election.

Comment

still

HMRC still out of control obviously, they are in the news daily at the moment and actually two stories today!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8535895.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8535030.stm
            Last edited by smalldog; 25 February 2010, 09:54.

Comment

Originally posted by bananarepublic View Post
              As a country we are complacent and decadent and only a big disaster - e.g. a run on the pound or sovereign debt crisis - will shake the country out of its torpor. The clue to this is how Labour can still be on 30% in the polls. People are worried about spending cuts but the truth is that UK PLC is heading for the rocks and if they think a vote for Labour will save their cushy life funded by the state they are very much mistaken.
              On the plus side, anything we owe to HMRC might be worthless in a few years time.

Comment

Observation

On the upside the revenue have very much nailed their colours to one mast.
                ie we are the goverment of the day and can do whatever we like.
                I have faith that the legal process will result in a successful challenge to this belief. It seems crazy they can introduce retrospection and then attempt to apply interest charges to a perceived debt position.

I'm still hopeful but alas 'Downbeat'

Comment

Another CTD question... sorry

My missus asked me last night "what would happen if we lost the CTD cetificate, or if we had a fire?".
                  I told her that the certificate itself does not hold the value, so we're okay.

But I must admit, it's playing on my mind now. So can someone confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by nuffsaid View Post
                    My missus asked me last night "what would happen if we lost the CTD cetificate, or if we had a fire?".
                    I told her that the certificate itself does not hold the value, so we're okay.

But I must admit, it's playing on my mind now. So can someone confirm this?
                    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/payinghmrc/ce...-deposit.htm#9

Comment

Phew!

Thanks DR

Comment

Working...
                      X