• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom & Gloom ?????

Hi All

How did we get from all up beat about winning to it being all doom and gloom and people saying we will probably lose?

I am now very confused and worried.

I have always been optimistic but I am preparing for the worst case.
    Hopefully I will not lose my house, but I will lose everything I have saved over the past 10 years and will be remortgaged to the hilt again......

And now it seems my optimism was as they say a little too optimistic.....
    I don't believe it.........

Comment

Originally posted by patbikeruk View Post
      Hi All

How did we get from all up beat about winning to it being all doom and gloom and people saying we will probably lose?

I am now very confused and worried.

I have always been optimistic but I am preparing for the worst case.
      Hopefully I will not lose my house, but I will lose everything I have saved over the past 10 years and will be remortgaged to the hilt again......

And now it seems my optimism was as they say a little too optimistic.....
      Sorry, this is my fault. Partly I am trying to play down expectations because I know how badly it hit some people after the JR. As much as possible we need to try and avoid panic if it goes badly in November.

I haven't become more cautious based on anything I've heard from Montpelier or their legal team. As far as I'm aware, they are still just as bullish.

It's just I've been doing a lot of background reading which has made me realise what a big thing it is we are asking the courts to do. I think may also understand why we lost the JR.

I'm happy to share what I've found but at the end of the day I am not a legal and my opinion is therefore virtually worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Sorry, this is my fault. Partly I am trying to play down expectations because I know how badly it hit some people after the JR. As much as possible we need to try and avoid panic if it goes badly in November.

I haven't become more cautious based on anything I've heard from Montpelier or their legal team. As far as I'm aware, they are still just as bullish.

It's just I've been doing a lot of background reading which has made me realise what a big thing it is we are asking the courts to do. I think may also understand why we lost the JR.

I'm happy to share what I've found but at the end of the day I am not a legal and my opinion is therefore virtually worthless.
        Now I'm really struggling. The idea of a "virtually worthless" Donkey sits very uncomfortably.

Here's a thought. Retrospective tax means that they are trying to tax us on the same income twice. How? We didn't pay the tax they claim is due. We then either saved it and paid tax on the income from those savings or we spent it and paid VAT on large chunks of it. Double taxation. Calling them unprincipled would be far too polite.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

DR I understand why you do it but reading is sometimes a dangerous thing, for example. search on "headache" in google, some sites say its probably a brain tumour and your definitely going to die, while others say its probably just a bit of dehydration probably due to too much booze....opinions are so disparate sometimes you cant rely on reading stuff to get a realistic expectation

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
            Now I'm really struggling. The idea of a "virtually worthless" Donkey sits very uncomfortably.
            You know what I mean. I may have read a bit on the subject but I'm in no way qualified to start giving legal opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              DR I understand why you do it but reading is sometimes a dangerous thing, for example. search on "headache" in google, some sites say its probably a brain tumour and your definitely going to die, while others say its probably just a bit of dehydration probably due to too much booze....opinions are so disparate sometimes you cant rely on reading stuff to get a realistic expectation
              You are right. What's that old saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". I think that just about sums up my grasp of the law!!!

Comment

You are right. What's that old saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". I think that just about sums up my grasp of the law!!!
                ive literally terrified myself thinking I had lung cancer once after reading why I had a pain in my side, only to find out it was a pulled intercostal muscle...anyways... time to chill a bit and see what happens. Im actually bored of worrying about it all, what will be will be.....

Comment

Fat Ladies

As far as I'm concerned, the Fat Lady hasn't even begun clearing her throat.

We will win, albeit eventually. It is such a travesty of justice that we will win through. It will just take a long time
                  Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja View Post
                    As far as I'm concerned, the Fat Lady hasn't even begun clearing her throat.

We will win, albeit eventually. It is such a travesty of justice that we will win through. It will just take a long time
                    I agree. We must remember, that unless HMRC are defeated AND they decide not to appeal, then this has a long way to go yet. Even if the above scenario happens, there is still the old legislation, and we'll be back in court on that.

For me, perversely perhaps, the longer this runs, the stronger our chances. If we win before the all important final decision, then that's a morale boosting plus. But everytime a decision is made new cracks and angles of attack will open up in the HMRC case. We're seeing it already with the 'fair' tax points. The longer this goes on, the more likely we are to win.

I just think that it is a shadow on our lives that we must come to terms with and live with for now.
                    Last edited by OnYourBikeGB; 4 August 2010, 16:31.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      ive literally terrified myself thinking I had lung cancer once after reading why I had a pain in my side, only to find out it was a pulled intercostal muscle...anyways... time to chill a bit and see what happens. Im actually bored of worrying about it all, what will be will be.....
                      I kind of agree. I appear to have no control over the outcome of this yet it will affect me greatly (to the point of selling the house). I've spent too long worrying about it - it's here, FACT so we have to play the cards we have the best we can.

The whole Retrospective thing stinks to me and the fact they have singled out one scheme - it's a (very bad) joke.

Did anybody come up with the best ways of mitigating the risks of the debt ? 4 more years (guess) of litigation will create a massive hole to fill.

GottaBeOptimistic

Comment

Working...
                      X