• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments and Rating...........

Of course - you can also rate the other ideas that are currently ahead of S.58. Ratings are an average of all contributions.

Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
      just moved up to 4th in the most comments list.
      I could take us to the #1 spot in a matter of minutes but so far I've resisted the urge. I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of this.

Pros

I expect this site to fade into obscurity pretty quickly, so "guerilla tactics" are likely to be most effective now when the site has only just been launched.

By hijacking the site for our cause, we might get some visibility in Parliament and wider circles.

Cons

This tactic would certainly get Clegg & Co's backs up and could end up being counter-productive.

They may simply modify the ranking to disregard multiple comments or delete all the duplicates.

Comment

Most Comments

We are sitting precariously in 2nd place.

Nice work team! Keep up the good work
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I could take us to the #1 spot in a matter of minutes but so far I've resisted the urge. I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of this.

Pros

I expect this site to fade into obscurity pretty quickly, so "guerilla tactics" are likely to be most effective now when the site has only just been launched.

By hijacking the site for our cause, we might get some visibility in Parliament and wider circles.

Cons

This tactic would certainly get Clegg & Co's backs up and could end up being counter-productive.

They may simply modify the ranking to disregard multiple comments or delete all the duplicates.
          Then again DR, maybe its worth reminding the govt. and HMRC that we intend to be a constant thorn in their side
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
            Of course - you can also rate the other ideas that are currently ahead of S.58. Ratings are an average of all contributions.

Think about it.
            Whew! getting repetitive strain injury giving bad ratings to the other ideas

Comment

disagree with cheating

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              Whew! getting repetitive strain injury giving bad ratings to the other ideas
              I don't think it's right to do this.

If anyone gets hold of this it would make a great story from an HMRC sympathiser's perspective wouldn't it? Bear in mind the majority of the public would probably not take much persuading to think of users of the scheme in question to be "cheats", unfair, etc. By going to these extreme measures to rig the result, they could say we're apparently doing the same thing. Even though we all know this isn't the case, I think we need to be sensitive of how this might play to a neutral audience, upon whose opinion we may one day be reliant.

What right do we have to rubbish the ideas of others just because we wish to falsely boost our idea to the top. Many on here, myself included, want justice, fair play and a level playing field. By descending to these type of tricks we will lose any moral authority, which must be bad in the medium to long run.

Comment

Originally posted by loser View Post

If anyone gets hold of this it would make a great story from an HMRC sympathiser's perspective wouldn't it? Bear in mind the majority of the public would probably not take much persuading to think of users of the scheme in question to be "cheats", unfair, etc. By going to these extreme measures to rig the result, they could say we're apparently doing the same thing. Even though we all know this isn't the case, I think we need to be sensitive of how this might play to a neutral audience, upon whose opinion we may one day be reliant.

What right do we have to rubbish the ideas of others just because we wish to falsely boost our idea to the top. Many on here, myself included, want justice, fair play and a level playing field. By descending to these type of tricks we will lose any moral authority, which must be bad in the medium to long run.
                I've been round the block too many times and I am far too cynical about life to go with what you have said.

The govt. and HMRC can spin this anyway they want. Even if we play fair, they can spin the results of the survery against us, or they can quietly ignore it, just as David Gauke has scurried back into the shadows, scared of what stone he has unturned.

I think we need ANY kind of publicity at the moment, good or bad. Correct me if I am wrong, but the aim is to get S58 to the attention of the govt. and tell them we are not going away. Joe public couldnt care less about our plight as long as he can afford 10 packets of fags and his Sky subscription every month.
                Last edited by SantaClaus; 5 July 2010, 15:48.

Comment

Originally posted by loser View Post

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of it, on a practical level giving other ideas a low rating wouldn't be very effective. For example, the "Digital Economy Bill" one already has 1500 votes so there is little we can do to lower it's average rating of 4.9.

As for adding more than one comment, the site allows this so I think that's perfectly OK. Adding duplicate comments is a bit iffy but sometimes you have to push the boundaries to get your message across.

At the end of the day I'm not going to lose any sleep over what we're doing because this a law they should have repealed, on principle, without having to be prompted.

Comment

Question

Does anyone know how the Tags get selected here?

HMG - Your Freedom

I am wondering what we would need to do to get our own tags in this list.

Comment

Well done all! We're Numero Uno in "Highest rated ideas" and "Ideas with most comments".

Can't help thinking the donkey had something to do with our thread being "kicked" to the top

Keep submitting comments and ratings folks. Cant afford to let this slip.

Edit: We've dissapeared from "Highest rated ideas" and sliding down the list in "Ideas with most comments". Keep posting folks!
                      Last edited by SantaClaus; 5 July 2010, 21:51.

Comment

Working...
                      X