• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Do you know what is really shocking in all of this?

That we are prepared to bung an official?

No!

It is the fact that we are all in no doubt that HMRC are holding information which would prejudice their case.

In criminal proceedings this would be deemed withholding evidence, which is against the law.

So tell me, where is the line we shouldn't cross?

There is no doubt they are holding information that is in the public interest. They've admitted
    it. They are keeping the information back because it's 'too expensive' to retrieve.

However, it would seem that the Treasury (or HMRC) think it's good value to push on with a legal
    case that stands very little chance, win or lose, of retrieving the amounts of money that
    were originally mentioned.

As has been said before, the only people who will get rich from this are the lawyers.

Any information that could help to shortcut this process, would not only
    help a couple of thousand people who have had an immoral legal change forced upon
    them, but would save the public purse quite a bit in legal costs.

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
      If one of Hector's drones demonstrates some moral fibre and makes contact how do we react quickly to the opportunity?
      I'm not really expecting anyone to come forward but, if they did, I can rustle up a sizeable down payment to demonstate that we're serious.

There is the question of whether we could actually trust anyone who approached us but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
        There is no doubt they are holding information that is in the public interest. They've admitted
        it. They are keeping the information back because it's 'too expensive' to retrieve.
        Actually here they say that some of the information would "prejudice the assessment or collection of tax".

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...0%20Jagger.pdf

Incidentally, for the record, the gentleman with the initials SD named in this request gave evidence to the JR.

In his testimony he stated that he was the Assistant Director of HMRC responsible for what became Section 58.

Clearly someone to add to your Xmas card list.

Comment

Remind me to never, ever get on the wrong side of DR!

Comment

Im in!

as long as they declare it on their SA return!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              dont care, my ENTIRE LIFE UNTIL I RETIRE IS BASED ON THE LYING CHEATING ACTIONS OF THESE PEOPLE!!!

Deckster, for me this is no game, this is MY LIFE we are dealing with here and I dont take that lightly no matter what the cost
              Yep agreed

count me in as well

Comment

Originally posted by Leyther70 View Post
                Im in!

as long as they declare it on their SA return!
                Just counting up the penny bottle now.

So would it be tax deductible for us?
                Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Vallah View Post
                  Remind me to never, ever get on the wrong side of DR!
                  Don't know what you mean.

Comment

Someone has just contacted me raising the concern that HMRC could use some of the recent posts in court like they did at the JR.

This is a fair point which I thought I'd respond to here.

HMRC will deny that they are withholding any information which would have a significant bearing on the case. Therefore, any attempt by us to obtain useful information should be a fruitless exercise, so why bother bringing it up if they have nothing to hide?

The last thing HMRC would want to do in court is draw attention to the possibility that such evidence does exist.

In any case, I'm only asking for information about possible corruption/conspiracy/cover-up. No-one could argue that exposing this would not be in the public interest.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      Actually here they say that some of the information would "prejudice the assessment or collection of tax".

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...0%20Jagger.pdf

Incidentally, for the record, the gentleman with the initials SD named in this request gave evidence to the JR.

In his testimony he stated that he was the Assistant Director of HMRC responsible for what became Section 58.

Clearly someone to add to your Xmas card list.

I don't know what this means: "prejudice the assessment or collection of tax". Does this mean that if they
                      let the information out, we'd all then know a legal route to avoid tax?

If so, it's bit late for that as they've already enatced a retrospective change to the law.

Comment

Working...
                      X