• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
    This is to be expected. As I have said previously:
    I do also think its a bit unrealistic at the present time, to expect the chancellor who to be fair, does have his hands very full to get involved in replying to these letters. Its a protocol issue and Im sure our individual MP's will be raising this with the relevant ministers

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      I do also think its a bit unrealistic at the present time, to expect the chancellor who to be fair, does have his hands very full to get involved in replying to these letters. Its a protocol issue and Im sure our individual MP's will be raising this with the relevant ministers
      I wouldn't have had a problem with it if the reply had come from the Treasury.

But HMRC???

These are the feckers we were complaining about.

Comment

Have just re-tweaked my follow-up letter to Redwood asking him to ensure that this is NOT passed to HMRC as they are the co-conspirators in all this bulltulip...

DR.. if this is a sign of things to come, a new angle of attack may be required.

Comment

Originally posted by RingStinger View Post
          DR.. if this is a sign of things to come, a new angle of attack may be required.
          Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            I wouldn't have had a problem with it if the reply had come from the Treasury.

But HMRC???

These are the feckers we were complaining about.

I sort of hope that was HMRC as they were under Labour....Im trying to believe that HMRC are now the brave new world Tory organisation..

Comment

I sort of hope that was HMRC as they were under Labour....Im trying to believe that HMRC are now the brave new world Tory organisation..
              Unbelievable, it's a politician's move, alright. This way they get to make their cuts and not risk any backlash. Bad as it looks on the surface, we are all agreed that the legal route is going to take years. HMRC are not enforcing collection, and this is unlikely to change as the current Government knows that this would only make the Government look hypocritical. If this does have to run it's course, then the Government does have time to quietly drop this at a later date when it's less contentious, if there is (and it's a big 'if') a recovery and assuming it goes that far. At the moment, I suspect that it would just leave them open to attack. They have indicated their belief that what has happened is wrong, what they are hoping for may be that the courts will do their job for them. If HMRC get a good thumping at appeal, it might be the excuse the Government need to tut a bit about tax avoidance and blame the legal system for letting us off, while at the same time pointing out that this how the previous Governments tactics cause instability and uncertainty. Perhaps a little simplistic and naiive, but on we go regardless.

Comment

Im trying to believe that HMRC are now the brave new world Tory organisation..

You have to remember that the HMRC Public 'Servants' haven't changed and they will still be operating with the same anonymous, vindictive and vicious characteristics they developed (enhanced?) under the tutelage of Brown/Balls (Brown Balls - ).

Check out The Silent State by Heather Brooke for a detailed explanation of how all these Public Services operate and how they manage to avoid all responsibility for their actions.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                  Unbelievable, it's a politician's move, alright. This way they get to make their cuts and not risk any backlash. Bad as it looks on the surface, we are all agreed that the legal route is going to take years. HMRC are not enforcing collection, and this is unlikely to change as the current Government knows that this would only make the Government look hypocritical. If this does have to run it's course, then the Government does have time to quietly drop this at a later date when it's less contentious, if there is (and it's a big 'if') a recovery and assuming it goes that far. At the moment, I suspect that it would just leave them open to attack. They have indicated their belief that what has happened is wrong, what they are hoping for may be that the courts will do their job for them. If HMRC get a good thumping at appeal, it might be the excuse the Government need to tut a bit about tax avoidance and blame the legal system for letting us off, while at the same time pointing out that this how the previous Governments tactics cause instability and uncertainty. Perhaps a little simplistic and naiive, but on we go regardless.
                  IMHO, not at all simplistic or naive.

I think we all knew it was a "big ask" to expect them to repeal at this stage. I always said this was a longshot but we had nothing to lose.

We have lost nothing. But I think we have gained ground. The Government now know that we're not going away.

Comment

I agree but did not expect teacher to hand our note to the class bully and say please deal with this......

Even a simple we are in no position to deal with this at the present time and feel that this is best dealt with in the courts would have been better than what they sent.....

We are no better or worst off just a little surprised by the reaction from the government.

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    IMHO, not at all simplistic or naive.

I think we all knew it was a "big ask" to expect them to repeal at this stage. I always said this was a longshot but we had nothing to lose.

We have lost nothing. But I think we have gained ground. The Government now know that we're not going away.
                    I don't believe it.........

Comment

Originally posted by patbikeruk View Post
                      I agree but did not expect teacher to hand our note to the class bully and say please deal with this......

Even a simple we are in no position to deal with this at the present time and feel that this is best dealt with in the courts would have been better than what they sent.....

We are no better or worst off just a little surprised by the reaction from the government.
                      Absolutely!

I also find it insulting that MPs are sending out a standard response as though it had been written by them. We asked for a response from the Government, and instead we get something which is not attributable to anyone.

I'm going to confront my MP about this and ask where she got this letter from.

Comment

Working...
                      X