• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Round 2 (Court of Appeal)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by not-a-penny View Post
    I've already voted but was just curious about the third option "N/A". When would N/A apply? Assuming this poll is for MP clients only then the question is straightforward yes or no. Anyone can give an example of N/A?

On an unrelated subject, apologies to my better half for ... I know this is the quickest way to get a message to her
    Doesn't the question assume you have (own) a home in the first place? If you're renting and have no assets, how do you vote? N/A seems the likely response.

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
      The current lowering of morale in my case is arising from the increasingly pervasive HMRC strategy of closing any and all avoidance strategies and branding them artificial. We have seen Image Rights, non-domicile guidance, bonuses provided as shares all attacked during the last week - and probably many more still to come. All of these planning strategies are now being smeared with the 'avoidance' epithet which has itself been traduced into an equivalence with 'evasion'. The HMRC attacks are also being applied retrospectively on the grounds that the planning strategies are contrived purely to avoid paying the tax due. Since when was that wrong? The tax wasn't due in the past.
      At least our case is more clear cut ie. they changed the law backwards.

Those who relied on non-statutory HMRC guidance are in a much more invidious position.

Comment

Originally posted by Boycie View Post
        Doesn't the question assume you have (own) a home in the first place? If you're renting and have no assets, how do you vote? N/A seems the likely response.
        Thank you. I knew there was a reason I included N/A. Some people told me they'd already sold up and moved into rented accommodation, and others were holding back on buying a house.

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
          I don't think the poll is having any influence on morale overall. Those that have voted probably ignore it in the header location, yet those still to vote have the status readily visible.

The current lowering of morale in my case is arising from the increasingly pervasive HMRC strategy of closing any and all avoidance strategies and branding them artificial. We have seen Image Rights, non-domicile guidance, bonuses provided as shares all attacked during the last week - and probably many more still to come. All of these planning strategies are now being smeared with the 'avoidance' epithet which has itself been traduced into an equivalence with 'evasion'. The HMRC attacks are also being applied retrospectively on the grounds that the planning strategies are contrived purely to avoid paying the tax due. Since when was that wrong? The tax wasn't due in the past.
          Agree with this. And you can add in any advice that your accountant (and virtually anyone else) who gives you tax planning advice that nosey lot at hMRC can now ask to see.

There is a massive drive to make legal tax avoidance as decreed by the High Court, into tax evasion.

I used to work in the civil service and never really held with the view that civil servant didnt pay tax.

In over 10 years since I left, I've paid tens of thousands of pounds in corporation tax, VAT and yes, NI Conts. All of that generated by me because I took a decision to leave the civil service. If I'd have stayed in the civil service, hmrc and its incumbents who have got a big fat zero in tax receipts from me.

So, you not only generate wealth and tax receipts for them and they still want more.

Well how about more of them get off their fat lazy arses and create some wealth themselves?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Thank you. I knew there was a reason I included N/A. Some people told me they'd already sold up and moved into rented accommodation, and others were holding back on buying a house.
            I guess there is a chance that some of these N/A people really belong to the Yes camp because they will loose everything even if it does not include a house.

Comment

Originally posted by CharteredTaxAdviser View Post
              I agree.

The case will take several years typically. Its likely to go more quickly as my HMRC insiders are saying that they want to pursue this quickly.

You have to consider another scenario ladies and gents that should HMRC lose ultimately, then its VERY likely they will legislate again....

What I can positively say is that I personally know 3 QC's in prestigious London Chambers who are all engaged on various matters around this case. They are in addition to the ones that DonkeyR states at the top of this thread...
              Mr Jones, I presume !!

Comment

I guess there is a chance that some of these N/A people really belong to the Yes camp because they will loose everything even if it does not include a house.
                True. The main reason I framed the question in terms of the "home" was that it puts it in very simple terms that everyone can relate to.

Obviously it wouldn't be realistic to extrapolate the figure of 60% to infer that 1500 out of the total 2500 people who used the scheme could lose their home.

However, it must run into several hundred.

Comment

Mr Jones, I presume !!
                  My sources say more than likely.

Comment

Yep thats Me
                    When is comes to the HMRC and Gordy. Im a fighter not a lover

Comment

My sources say more than likely.
                      that's his fourth incarnation isn't it? (I'm including northernsouls 'chum')
                      is that quadpolar syndrome?

Comment

Working...
                      X