• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - the road to Judicial Review

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oneoftruegrit
    replied
    Thanks a lot to everyone

Although I have not contributed to the forum before, I have been following it as and when I can. I cannot thank DR and the others enough for keeping us up to date on the proceedings, no matter what the outcome. You guys have done a fabulous job.

Leave a comment:

• TAF4
    replied
    Day 2 - JR

Originally posted by futurecat View Post
    Any updates from today's proceeding?
    Couldn't get there today. I'm really disappointed but as others have said, Contractors carry the load.

My guess is they haven't broken for lunch yet. Anytime between 12:30 and 13:00 there will be break for an hour and hopefully we will get some PDA snippets.

Leave a comment:

• futurecat
    replied
    Any updates?

Any updates from today's proceeding?

Leave a comment:

• rosbiff
    replied
    Originally posted by Maddog View Post
    Hi Fog

Sorry was going to try and meet up with you (and DR) yesterday, unfortunatley I work at a large bank which employs a high volume of incompetent people, who need constant supervision from their contract staff to stop the wheels falling off - not that I'm bitter !

As such, I am looking unlikely to attend today. Probably just as well, as I could see my self hurling verbal abuse during the case and getting myself banged up for my troubles !

Was thinking of going to the pub outside the court tonight (The George) if anyone is going, for a catch up.

Mad
    I am in exactly the same position, surely the permies can be left for a couple of hours, when was the last time you had a lunch hour ?

Leave a comment:

• smalldog
    replied
    Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
    This astounds me. The gloves have finally come off and HMRC stand there naked of any reasoned argument, 'we are the government, YOU DO WHAT WE SAY....', if they seriously think I'm going to pay up, whatever happens, they can f**k themselves. I'll do jail time first.
    Im with you on that one poppy, I reckon a protest march through westminster if we lose...Im certainly not going down without a fight....or maybe form a protest camp outside Timms house....might actually be a good option if we lose our homes due to this piece of injustice...

Oh and by the way parliament, you do run the country but that doesnt mean you arent subject to judicial and legal scrutiny. Youre not legal experts, you are just commoners voted into power, not for your expertise in a lot of cases..theres a clue in the title house of commons
    Last edited by smalldog; 20 January 2010, 11:54.

Leave a comment:

• Maddog
    replied
    Stuck at work !

Originally posted by Fog View Post
    Great to meet so many people yesterday and thanks for the drink Emigre!

I will be trying to get in for the afternoon session as I have a sick child to look after this morning.

I found yesterday very hard going based on the extensive legal detail. To be expected. I found our respresentation to be very competent. Following on from Santa's update I must say I felt that HMRC's tack of 'we will be retrospective if we want to be' a little strange and as Taxing has said - it seems more akin to Terrorism Law.

DR - fab to meet you - and good luck if you get chance to speak to our legal team.

Fog
    Hi Fog

Sorry was going to try and meet up with you (and DR) yesterday, unfortunatley I work at a large bank which employs a high volume of incompetent people, who need constant supervision from their contract staff to stop the wheels falling off - not that I'm bitter !

As such, I am looking unlikely to attend today. Probably just as well, as I could see my self hurling verbal abuse during the case and getting myself banged up for my troubles !

Was thinking of going to the pub outside the court tonight (The George) if anyone is going, for a catch up.

Mad

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Originally posted by poppy01 View Post
    This astounds me. The gloves have finally come off and HMRC stand there naked of any reasoned argument, 'we are the government, YOU DO WHAT WE SAY....', if they seriously think I'm going to pay up, whatever happens, they can f**k themselves. I'll do jail time first.
    You'll be in good company Poppy!

Billy Brag - Why I'm withholding my tax
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ax-rbs-bonuses

Leave a comment:

• poppy01
    replied
    Originally posted by silver_lining View Post
    If this is the case, then it becomes a new law enacted to tackle the scheme that has been made retrospective 8 years into the game.....

surely surely... he cannot let this happen.......

its now beyond a joke.

Leave a comment:

• silver_lining
    replied
    Originally posted by deckster View Post
    No, it was always patently clear to a blind dog that that 1987 ruling didn't apply; the issue was the HMRC claimed that it did, and that BN66 was merely a 'clarification' rather than a change in the law. The judge has cleared that one up and so HMRC now have to justify 'changing' rather than 'clarifying' the law.

Whether this actually makes any difference is up for the judge to decide.
    If this is the case, then it becomes a new law enacted to tackle the scheme that has been made retrospective 8 years into the game.....

surely surely... he cannot let this happen.......

its now beyond a joke.

Leave a comment:

• robinhood
    replied
    Originally posted by elpinar View Post
    does the judge rule today or do we have to wait for an answer?

when we win .... what is the next step as I assuem that this doesnt overturn the law?
    The judge could rule today but it could take a few weeks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X