• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charge client VAT on train ticket?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THEPUMA View Post
    Most clients tend to go for the latter when explained to them as they don't want to jeopardise their relationship with their clients for a relatively modest amount.
    Yep, unless your expenses are very significant, then the losses on the flat rate scheme are very low (and more than made up for by the extra profit you make on your own services). I did drop off the flat rate scheme last year as I was supplying a significant amount of extra stuff (hardware & software) on one project and I worked out that I was losing money on it!
    Plan A is located just about here.
    If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

A long thread for a simple question / answer:

Recharged expenses must have VAT added to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Why wouldn't you add VAT if you're on the FRS?

I alway add VAT on top of expenses as I can argue I've added value (that and the accountant said to do it like that)...
        I always add VAT on top too
        but
        a) the client never sees the reciepts for any of my expenses
        b) I go to the effort of making the bookings myself
        c) I know for a fact that if the client co had booked travel and hotels for me then it would have ended up costing them more (lazy perm who does the bookings)

In a typical month I probably save them £200-300 by finding cheaper flight options than they book as standard and I take the financial risk of being out of pocket if for any reason I miss a flight.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
          A long thread for a simple question / answer:

Recharged expenses must have VAT added to them.
          1. Not if you personally pay the expense and have it reimbursed by the client (but then YourCo does not get to clam back VAT because it hasn't paid it.

2. Yes if Yourco pays it, but YourCo adds VAT to the NET cost, which is = cost for a train ticket but not for a hotel. And for a taxi, it depends on whether the taxi driver/company is registered for VAT or not.

Clear?
          Last edited by expat; 2 October 2008, 11:46.

Comment

I think I've charged 3 different ways on my last 3 gigs. Depends on the client in my experience. Never found a satisfactory explanation to this one.
            Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              1. Not if you personally pay the expense and have it reimbursed by the client (but then YourCo does not get to clam back VAT because it hasn't paid it.

2. Yes if Yourco pays it, but YourCo adds VAT to the NET cost, which is = cost for a train ticket but not for a hotel. And for a taxi, it depends on whether the taxi driver/company is registered for VAT or not.
              Clear?
              Under the advice of our accountant we allways charge VAT on gross.

E.g., hotel costs £100 + VAT.

We bill client £117.50 + VAT.

Never had a client complain about this.
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                yourco charges the client 80 GBP plus VAT Plus VAT = 110 GBP
                You can do this, but in the eyes of HMRC, this translates as

80 GBP input expenses
                17.5% markup charged by yourco and treated as profit in your accounts
                17.5% VAT on the total charged to the client.

btw, not arguing about whether the client would accept this - in my view its perfectly legitimate to add a markup to expenses that you incur on their behalf. But the point is that it is not VAT, its just profit.
                Plan A is located just about here.
                If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
                  Under the advice of our accountant we allways charge VAT on gross.

E.g., hotel costs £100 + VAT.

We bill client £117.50 + VAT.

Never had a client complain about this.
                  It is good advice for you, because that way the client is giving YourCo a gift of £17.50. That is my "case 2": you are merely billing the client a sum of money. If they agree to pay it, fine. You are making a profit out of it, but that's business.

Note: i.e. agree with XLMonkey post preceding.

Comment

Riiiiight, OK. It's all so clear!

So from what you've all (kindly) said, I will be charging VAT on the train ticket on my invoice.

ie. the ticket was £123 (I know!) so I charge £144.53

And the client claims the VAT back anyway. Even though I didn't pay VAT on the ticket in the first place.

Yes?

Comment

I too charge VAT on the gross cost to Myco of some travel and accommodation costs. I don't charge them as expenses on the invoice but rather as a fee to attend a workshop/meeting etc in a particular location, which naturally attracts VAT. I only charge for visits outside the UK and all the costs go through my limited company.

It reinforces the fact that I am a consultant charging for my services and not an employee claiming expenses.

I'm on the flat rate scheme too, which means the more VAT I can charge the more I can make. Like Spacecadet, if I arrange everything it will almost always save the client money because I can find cheaper flights and accommodation then they can through their own scheme.
                      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                      X