• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - CTD buying advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossman View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before elsewhere, but I need to estimate how much to whack into a CTD. The way the banking system is going, a CTD is probably the safest place for the dosh. I don't want the double whammy of Hector asks for the money, and I haven't got it because the bank has gone ti**-up.

I was thinking of one third of the income received from the Offshore Trust. Woulkd that be about right to cover the tax + NI liability?
    About right. Why not ask montp for an estimate?

Comment

The way the banking system is going, a CTD is probably the safest place for the dosh.

I wish I'd put more in a CTD instead of keeping money in Icesave.

Comment

Do we really belive that one arm of HMRC does not have access to who has a CTD? Is it not better to acquire them in a "Personal Representative's" name?

I see that whilst they are not transferrable they can be used to settle someone elses's liability provided such action is backed up in writing.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
          Do we really belive that one arm of HMRC does not have access to who has a CTD? Is it not better to acquire them in a "Personal Representative's" name?

I see that whilst they are not transferrable they can be used to settle someone elses's liability provided such action is backed up in writing.
          I do believe that CTDs are confidential. However, even if Special Investigations were aware that you had a CTD, what possible good would it do them? They can't get the hands on the money.

Comment

Another CTD question

Suppose I get a CTD, then we win, but in the meantime I have died, can the inheritor of my estate i.e. my wife, get the money out again? They seem to be non-transferable.

Comment

Suppose I get a CTD, then we win, but in the meantime I have died, can the inheritor of my estate i.e. my wife, get the money out again? They seem to be non-transferable.
              Lets assume they did not hand the money over(unlikely). A swift solicitor's letter should do the trick. Or contacting the press (Sun headline - "heartless HMRC stole dead man's money says grieving penniless widow").

Comment

Working...
              X