• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question regarding investing in an ISA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've come to an easy decision on the ISA front.

I've got quite a flexible mortgage and have the ability to borrow back as well as repay huge sums with no penalty (largely thanks to the fact I was lucky enough to get on the property ladder before the 2001 boom so have equity).

On this basis for now I might as well just max out my ISA every year, should there come a point where the interest rates mis-match and I'm losing money having it in the ISA I'll just withdraw it and pay off a chunk of the mortgage, if this doesn't happen then I've managed to utilise my ISA allowance every year so by the time my mortgage IS paid off I've got a nice tax free pot. It just means my mortgage will take longer to pay off, but every year through cost of living rises the overhead of a mortgage becomes less and less significant as it stays the same (providing the interest element is paid).

This thread has certainly given me some new things to consider though, personally I don't think the pension route is the one I want for several reasons, despite in theory being the most profitable/lucrative option.

Thanks again for all the replies.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

If I might add one thing. This has possibly been the most informative and interesting thread on here.
      "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
      "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
        If I might add one thing. This has possibly been the most informative and interesting thread on here.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Please, I hardly know you!
          "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
          "See?"

Comment

Working...
          X