• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYE tax to HMRC frequency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beermeister
    Thanks for the info, but for a Director receiving a nominal salary, do I need to pay quarterly or can I just pay annually?
    See reply number 2.

Edit: perhaps it wasn't absolutely crystal.

- If the tax/ni due is NIL then you can pay nil annually (if you ask)
    - If the tax/ni due is < a certain amount which you can find on the IR website (about 1000 I think) then you can pay quarterly
    - Else pay monthly.

I guess it depends on your own definition of nominal.
    Last edited by ASB; 26 June 2007, 07:56.

Comment

The OP was correct, if you call or write to your LOCAL office (the one that deals with your PAYE scheme) you can be put on annual payment if you are a director-only company even if tax is due.

This is because traditionally a lot of directors didn't take a regular salary out of their company, they would make irregular drawings which their accountants would then gross up at the end of the year.

This dates back to waaay before the advent of IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbird
        This is because traditionally a lot of directors didn't take a regular salary out of their company, they would make irregular drawings which their accountants would then gross up at the end of the year.
        True, but then they have an annual pay period.

The irregular drawings are loans which should be posted to the directors current account. There is then only one salary payment which covers it.

That is a perfectly acceptable way of dealing with it (notwithstanding potential BIK issues if the directors account goes overdrawn).

Comment

The position on monthly or quarterly payment is as follows:

Employers with a monthly total to pay over of less than £1500 (tax, NI ees and ers) can pay quarterly.

If you are paying a nominal salary I think you would probably fall under the £1500 so pay quarterly.

Hope this helps

Comment

I'm doing quarterly on a salary of about £5.5k
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
            X