• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dispute with client about rate and time - settle or go to small claims?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Unless there's something that say pay xxx for yyy work there's no agreement.
    sounds like yyy work was done, as well as zzz work, but without an agreed for xxx amount.
    The amount was offered at £200 per day, so that's the agreement to work. Its clearly been offered from the advert.

From what OP has said, there is no agreement to charge higher than that, unless he approached them with "my rate is £400 per day..." and then they accept.

With no discussion of rate the OP has made it difficult for himself. The advert states "from 200" but has failed to negotiate a higher amount so that is the agree rate.

Just my opinion, I'm no expert. Bird law is more my area of expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
      The amount was offered at £200 per day, so that's the agreement to work. Its clearly been offered from the advert.

From what OP has said, there is no agreement to charge higher than that, unless he approached them with "my rate is £400 per day..." and then they accept.

With no discussion of rate the OP has made it difficult for himself. The advert states "from 200" but has failed to negotiate a higher amount so that is the agree rate.

Just my opinion, I'm no expert. Bird law is more my area of expertise.
      I'm not a lawyer but whilst their advert may be argued as an implied agreement, the OP stated the scope of work was different. I'd probably argue nothing was agreed, and thus the work belongs to OP.

Pragmatically, the options are:
      • Take your ball and go home. Hoping they want the work bad enough to pay, now that you've established the price.
      • Accept their payment. Going legal would likely cost you more than the difference.

It really depends how much the money means to you. Personally, I'd play chicken, but that's probably bad advice and you'd have to be able to establish whether or not they'd just use the work anyway. ( You'd then chase them for non-payment of the total amount, but again this might cost you more than it's worth ).

Your probably better accepting their payment, and next time agree the rate before hand, or at least when you know the scope of the work.
      Last edited by fool; 28 March 2019, 17:44.

Comment

Working...
      X