• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi everyone, need a little ir35 help and explanation please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may wish to take a look at this hot off the press: https://www.contractoruk.com/news/00..._campaign=IR35

I have had a number of conversations with private sector contractors over the years in a number of different industries and I have been pretty shocked by their lack of knowledge around IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong, Deniance, but it seems you don't have a company of your own? The reference to a UTR makes me think you are Self Employed and simply filing a Self Assessment?
      Don't mean to hijack. Is there an incompatibility between having your own company and also a UTR?

I've had my own ltd for years and pay corporation tax and file company accounts etc (or my accountant does). I also file a self-assessment (or my accountant does) which pays e.g. dividend tax, personal tax etc...and to pay this bill I need to quote a UTR. Is there anything amiss?

TBH I get a message from my accountant every now and again which says: "HW, you need to pay £x VAT by the end of the month" or "HW, you need to pay £x corporation tax by the end of the month" and I just pay it. Blindly and possibly naively just trusting the accountant to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
        Don't mean to hijack. Is there an incompatibility between having your own company and also a UTR?
        No incompatibility - a UTR is needed for personal taxes, which applies, of course to a company director. I was reading between the lines that the OP meant he was registered as self employed as a sole trader rather than limited company, and “having a utr” tends to be a short cut for meaning registered as self employed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
          No incompatibility - a UTR is needed for personal taxes, which applies, of course to a company director. I was reading between the lines that the OP meant he was registered as self employed as a sole trader rather than limited company, and “having a utr” tends to be a short cut for meaning registered as self employed.
          Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X