• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR591 question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Close company - does this help ?

Well, that might as well be written in Sanskrit for all the information it imparts.

Comment

Hi, zeitghost - I think the gist of it is that there's virtually no difference in tax treatment of a simple company whether or not it's a close company. The complications seem to come in when you have the same bunch of people running several companies.

One important thing though - you can't escape being a close company just by registering as a plc - the Ltd / plc status is irrelevant. You can escape it by listing on a stock exchange and having more than 15% of your shares owned by Joe Public. But that costs. And before you think ahah! I can set up my own stock exchange and quote my company there ! - it has to be what they call a 'recognised' stock exchange.

Comment

Oh. All right then.

How about Linear B?

Comment

Eh?

I can't believe there's not more discussion/chat/tittle tattle about IR591.

If it's to replace IR35, then it's very significant in a good way.

If it's to work alongside IR35, then it's very significant in a bad way.

Are we all waiting with baited breath?

I'm very excited and have been catching tench all week my breath is so baited.

Comment

Re: Eh?

Are you on the Atkins diet.

I've heard that you get bad breath, but to be able to catch fish ....

But seriously, I think the view is that noboddy actually knows so well just wait.

Comment

Re: Eh?

sgrollitt - are you sure that IR591 would be good if it replaces IR35 ? Just because IR35 is bad, doesn't mean they're unable to dream up something much, much worse. The good thing about IR35 is that most small businesses, and even most contractors, are able to escape it. Those that have fought it have won in overwhelming numbers (I forget the exact figures but it's something like 400 won to 1 lost). I fear greatly that IR591, whatever form it takes, will catch us all in the net and will squeeze us all not only harder than IR35 does, but harder than the owner managers of bigger companies (like for example EDS ?).

Comment

IR591

Worded as it is at the moment, IR591 will significantly increase my take home pay. Of course, you're right, the IR could spring something nasty and unexpected on us, but I don't think so with Blair's electoral position dipping.

There's so much misinformation everywhere.

Also, why is there no thread about the new flat rate for VAT. If you invoice £5,000 a month, you WILL make about £75. So with IR591 and the new VAT rate (now), from April we'll be sinigng again.

Comment

Re: IR591

> Worded as it is at the moment

pray tell us all where this wording is - I was under the impression that it is not yet formalised and the only "wording" is a load of speculation.

On the flat rate VAT front you being an umbrella sort of person won't gain a red cent becaase you are not registered for VAT. On the other hand as I run a Ltd., am registered for VAT, and have signed up for flat rate scheme wef Jan 1 (still waiting acceptance from the VAT man though) stand to gain about £800 a year by my calculations.

Brolly = employee = wage slave = no bunce from our enterprise loving chancellor. I've been banging on about the advantages of Ltd. over brolly for ages - how much money must the brolly brigade waste before realising they could do a lot better. Keep on filing your dodgy expenses and waiting for Hector to come knocking.

Comment

Re: IR591

Budget is early this year - 17 March 2004, so we will know it all in a few more weeks, my gut feeling that its going to have immediate effect.

Comment

Working...
                    X