• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sole Trader under SDC and Employer NICs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    He actually is doing this for a good cause, he wants to go work 2/3 time in IT, and work half-time (unpaid) in an orphanage.
    2/3 + half = a lot of time working
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      2/3 + half = a lot of time working
      Really? 27 (2/3) + 20 (1/2) = 47 hours a week. The IT work will be WFH and he'll be living 2 minutes from the orphanage, so no commute. How many members of this forum have a longer work-week, by the time they count their commute, than that?

When I was his age I worked 60 hours a week. The difference was that my last 20 hours of work was exactly what I did for the first 40, and was soul-destroying, while his is likely to be somewhat rewarding and doing something completely different.

I admire what he's doing but I don't see it as all that difficult, in terms of the amount of work. It's the financial sacrifice, leaving family and friends, moving to a less developed country, all that, which seems a big deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        Really? 27 (2/3) + 20 (1/2) = 47 hours a week.
        I'd clearly missed the post where you said how many hours you meant and was just looking at the maths that two thirds plus one half equals more than one.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I'd clearly missed the post where you said how many hours you meant and was just looking at the maths that two thirds plus one half equals more than one.
          Unless you're scootie operating an Excel spreadsheet.

Comment

Working...
          X