• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£350/pd vs £75k p.a. permanent. Is it worth?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said, the equivalent to a £75K permie job should pay significantly more than £350 pd as a contractor.

Comment

I jumped from £85k to £325/day, but that was nearly 20 years ago and it was a different world then. I also had the chance to take voluntary redundancy to take a few quid with me and had virtually zero outgoings and a very marketable skillset. Within a year I was at £600/day at the same client, I just needed to get in the door.

I definitely got lucky along the way but I made a lot of my own luck. Contracting has helped me build a passive income so I could get away with never working again.

Perversely, I'd consider a £75k role despite being able to net that in 6 months contracting, for me I have to enjoy work now, the money is less important.

Totally depends on your risk appetite, your confidence that you will be able to keep in contracts and what you want out of your professional life.

My point is, only you will really know if it is the right thing. What happens if you get binned on your first day? Are you confident of finding something else before the wolf is at the door?

Comment

Working...
      X