• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

renting office space abroad, chargeable VAT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seek25 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, it could be legal basic stuff, I don't do legal work for a living, I look at these from a simplified point of view; yet I have started a topic to educate myself before making a decision.

I do appreciate the answer could be complex and very little are offering quality advice for free, so once again thanks for your time sharing what you know on the topic.

Thanks for your reply, I believe the issue starts at the time I actually rent an office and have contractors coming to work in there; it is basicaly employment. Under these circumstances the legal path seems to be local registering of a new company and pursue local employment following local country laws.

But, to keep it simple and make it quicker, I should be able to hire them as contractors using the UK company and it's not my duty to know if they have paid their local taxes or not; I just paid what we have agreed on, basicaly like hiring freelancers on a website. Unless I am again looking from a too simplified point of view?

Thanks.
    Yes, definitely quicker and easier for you to have them work as freelancers for you and look after their own taxes etc. might work out more expensive for you though, but less of a headache. Just one for you to weigh up really. But if you are going down that route, it also means you can cast the net as wide as you want to get the freelancers.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, it could be legal basic stuff, I don't do legal work for a living, I look at these from a simplified point of view; yet I have started a topic to educate myself before making a decision.

I do appreciate the answer could be complex and very little are offering quality advice for free, so once again thanks for your time sharing what you know on the topic.

Thanks for your reply, I believe the issue starts at the time I actually rent an office and have contractors coming to work in there; it is basicaly employment. Under these circumstances the legal path seems to be local registering of a new company and pursue local employment following local country laws.

But, to keep it simple and make it quicker, I should be able to hire them as contractors using the UK company and it's not my duty to know if they have paid their local taxes or not; I just paid what we have agreed on, basicaly like hiring freelancers on a website. Unless I am again looking from a too simplified point of view?

Thanks.
      In some countries it is not as easy as in the UK to hire freelancers, and if they don't have other clients they can be deemed as being your employees even if you have no local office.

Unfortunately without giving us the country people can't actually give you specific advice as each European countries' company, employment and tax laws differ.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks both for the comments, the country is Romania.

Having an office gives some sort of control compared to work from home; it is more expensive tho. I can't find any reference about self employment.

I think VAT is my last issues to think of.

Comment

Thanks both for the comments, the country is Romania.

Having an office gives some sort of control compared to work from home; it is more expensive tho. I can't find any reference about self employment.

I think VAT is my last issues to think of.
          Depending what the product is, but if you are using Git or some other version control system you will have some control over what they are doing anyway or can at least keep track on what they are doing Good luck with it all though.

Comment

Working...
          X