• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Implication of Limited Co owning some Bitcoins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whatever the issues with buying BTC through ltd, I wouldn't buy them right now, a lot of the stuff I'm reading seems to suggest that the sudden end of year spike is largely related to china / india currency instability, I would expect it to head back down to £400/£500 per BTC in the new year, still good price (I bought a couple @ £240 ish) although I tried to cash in the other day and it proved a little more difficult then I thought it would have been

long term though I do think they will sky rocket as they become more mainstream and more merchants begin to accept them

but agree I would probably purchase personally, much less hassle

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      You are mistaking fact for an 'opinion'. Bitcoins are at a peak against the GBP. They've only been higher once in early 2013 and that was only a gnats chuff higher than now.
      I'm intrigued what makes you think a tenfold increase is possible? Please explain?
      I know very well their price history and also that there are now at all time high against GBP. But it is not past price movement or technicals that is the basis for my 10X upside assumption.

I am bullish on bitcoin because they combine the twin values of scarcity (the number of bitcoins in circulation will never exceed 21 million) and easy transaction capability. These twin features are not found in any other asset class as of date. Gold is scarce but not vey useful in carrying out transactions (try buying a loaf of bread with gold or convert gold to cash with ease). Cash provides easy transactions but is anything but scarce. In fact governments can print as much cash as they want. This is why Bitcoin is unique in having both the above desirable features.

Now the total value of gold (which is considered a safe haven asset) in the world is $ 7 trillion. I am totally optimistic that over few years, it is entirely likely that 2% of this value might move into Bitcoin. So Bitcoin should have a market cap of $ 140 billion. Divide this by 21 million and you get a figure of $6666 per Bitcoin (or roughly £5500).

That is roughly how I get my 10X figure (well less now as the price touched £800 today).

It is ofcourse possible that we may see lower prices in the interim but equally the price could run away upwards. And I am prepared to live with the former temporarily than be left with the boat that really sailed away..
      Last edited by titan; 28 December 2016, 17:25.

Comment

Working...
      X