• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inland Revenue Dispensation........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses

The IR should (imo) implement a flat rate expense scheme for all brolly type companies, immediately would take the cowboys/p4 (oops keyboard slipped) out of the market.

Comment

Those investigations

passthevas.

I was not entirely clear. The first investigation was a compliance review. Obviously on the company. Can't remember the contents of the closure letter and can't be bothered to find it since it was approx 10 years ago. Part of the settlement was that the company agreed a small proportion of the expenses paid to me were BIK and provided they were excluded from the CT calculation the inspector was happy.

The phrase "subsequent enquiry" was a poor choice of words. You seem to have inferred (reasonably) that I was referring to the same year. I wasn't. My self assessment return seems to be queried every 2 years. This is the standard minor enquiry. I send them copies of the expense claims, receipts etc via the accountant and they go away happy after he has done a little horse trading.

Comment

Re: He isn't listen

Simon,

P60's and P11D's are not "mere reporting" requirements. they are "statutory declarations as to the truth of what is contained within". Criminal sanctions are attached.

for a per Diem to be taxable it has to 1) unearned income, 2) capital gain 3) earned income or 4) a BIK. there may be another class but I'can't think of them

to suggest the rule of law doesn't apply to the IR is very worrying

As an accountant I would expect you to have come across
        most things. have you ever seen a P60 that overstates the income actually paid and understates taxes deduct?

Are you thinking that can't happen???

Comment

Quote:

"P60's and P11D's are not "mere reporting" requirements. they are "statutory declarations as to the truth of what is contained within". Criminal sanctions are attached. "

You are spouting rubbish. There are civil penalties, not criminal, I did not mention P60's, and the wors you put in quotes are not mine.

Quote:

"for a per Diem to be taxable it has to 1) unearned income, 2) capital gain 3) earned income or 4) a BIK. there may be another class but I'can't think of them

to suggest the rule of law doesn't apply to the IR is very worrying"

Who suggested that the rule of law does not apply to the Revenue? Also, any income arising in the course of your employment is taxable.

"have you ever seen a P60 that overstates the income actually paid and understates taxes deduct?"

Yes. Several times. Happens usually when the Reveneu issue an incorrect tax code.

You obviously have no legal or accounting knowledge, and have some sort of axe to grind, so I shan't be responding to anymore of this rubbish.

Comment

so your saying if i have £12K deducted from my salary for tax and the P60 says I have only paid 6K, thats the result of and IR Tax code.

Or are you saying My employer only pays me 25k but puts on the P60 he has paid me 30K, is another tax code problem

I think not.

attack the person

may another accountant can help us out here

Comment

"Also, any income arising in the course of your employment is taxable."

if its not on a P60 or P11d its not income.

I'm still waiting

Comment

Re: Criminal Vs civil

funny about those butchers up in liverpool who went to goal for a civil offence.

Comment

funny about those butchers up in liverpool who went to goal for a civil offence.
                  It's 'Gaol'.

HTH.

Comment

another one for the one with o level

Comment

if its not on a P60 or P11d its not income

bull sh1t

That assumes an employer never makes a mistake! And if they do that the income mistakenly not included on the P60 or the P11d is not taxable!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X