• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First year FRS limit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you are a one man bos contractor approaching the 230k limit, you need to have more holidays

Comment

First year FRS limit

£766/day excl. Nice.

(Assuming no holidays)

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        if you are a one man bos contractor approaching the 230k limit, you need to have more holidays
        Not necessarily - 200 days at 1k a day is 240K with standard rate VAT (assuming all work is VATable). Not sure about the rest of you, but 200 days is not exactly hardcore IMO. I understand that 1k may be a fairly high rate in IT, but not everyone here works in IT. Even in IT, I'm sure there's a reasonable number of folks earning at 1k or more - perhaps ~1-5% of them? You're unlikely to exceed the limit by simply working hard. Again, at the risk of talking from a bubble, I understand that 1k is an extraordinary amount for the average Joe, but less extraordinary for contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Not necessarily - 200 days at 1k a day is 240K with standard rate VAT (assuming all work is VATable). Not sure about the rest of you, but 200 days is not exactly hardcore IMO. I understand that 1k may be a fairly high rate in IT, but not everyone here works in IT. Even in IT, I'm sure there's a reasonable number of folks earning at 1k or more - perhaps ~1-5% of them? You're unlikely to exceed the limit by simply working hard. Again, at the risk of talking from a bubble, I understand that 1k is an extraordinary amount for the average Joe, but less extraordinary for contracting.
          it was more of a tongue in cheek comment than a formal instruction but thanks anyway, I get it, you make a lot of money, well done you

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            it was more of a tongue in cheek comment than a formal instruction but thanks anyway, I get it, you make a lot of money, well done you
            Where was there any commentary about me in that? Just an observation, nothing more. The insecurity is all yours

Comment

Where was there any commentary about me in that? Just an observation, nothing more. The insecurity is all yours

Comment

Once you exceed the threshold and if you have a desire to stay in the FRS - need to manage how and when you bill to keep below the threshold (which may mean more holidays) - write to HMRC and they will allow you to stay on the scheme.

Comment

£1K per day is a far from unreasonable amount, if the client is picking up all the travel, for a shorter term gig, even in IT.

That's roughly what I would charge for it. There might be room for negotiation if there was to be longer term work offered after.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I've only ever got to just over a third of that level per day. I can't be working hard enough...

Comment

Working...
                    X