• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official I Don't Use An Accountant Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    For anyone starting out contracting an accountant is absolutely the right thing to do, but for those who have been running a business for a number of years, and have access to something like FreeAgent (I would assume other packages are similarly good but I've not seen them) going solo is an option if you are happy with the risk v reward.
    I think this is sensible (and if any doubt I say that as an accountant).

Like with many things in life, people can DIY. If you've savvy and prepared to put in a bit of effort, you can no doubt do a decent enough job. As you say it's down to each person to weigh up the risk and effort vs saving some money.

Packages like FreeAgent are making it easier to DIY as time goes on. That trend will continue. For some clients I realise the main thing we provide is peace of mind. Someone to oversee things, check they don't miss stuff (as inevitably even if they're very competent, accounts/tax isn't their main focus), and ensure they don't make any daft mistakes.

Comment

Working...
    X