• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The £75k bank guarantee thing????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The £75k bank guarantee thing????

How does MassiveClientCo manage with this - surely they don't shift each £75k chunk to various sundry banks, what do they do?

I'm a bit worried as I might need three banks soon at this rate....

Ideas?

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Ideas?
    Quit worrying, be happy, find another bank. Most people only need one bank and never approach the limit.

Alternatively, PM me and I'll give you an account number of a perfectly safe account you can transfer it all to, and you'll never have to worry about it ever again.

Comment

Find a bank that's too big to fail, ideally with Govt stake in it - RBS, Lloyds Bank, also I reckon they won't allow Barclays to go bust.

Comment

How does MassiveClientCo manage with this - surely they don't shift each £75k chunk to various sundry banks, what do they do?

I'm a bit worried as I might need three banks soon at this rate....

Ideas?
        Get a law team the size of MassiveClientCo

HTHBIDI
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Find a bank that's too big to fail, ideally with Govt stake in it - RBS, Lloyds Bank, also I reckon they won't allow Barclays to go bust.
          tulip I'm with Cater Allen and Santander - they're connected, does that mean on 75k job lot or two?

Comment

what do they do?
            Rest safe in the knowledge that the FSCS probably isn't worth the paper it's written on in a major crisis.

Correct, they don't split their reserves into 75k chunks across 10,000 accounts

That being said, they probably don't retain millions in the challenger banks either. Stick with the big banks like RBS and Lloyds.

Don't forget there are a whole bunch of asset classes you can stick the money in too, notwithstanding the risk of losing trading status. Again, stick with the big brokers like Lehman Bros and Bear Stearns.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Rest safe in the knowledge that the FSCS probably isn't worth the paper it's written on in a major crisis.

Correct, they don't split their reserves into 75k chunks across 10,000 accounts

That being said, they probably don't retain millions in the challenger banks either. Stick with the big banks like RBS and Lloyds.

Don't forget there are a whole bunch of asset classes you can stick the money in too, notwithstanding the risk of losing trading status. Again, stick with the big brokers like Lehman Bros and Bear Stearns.
              May be prudent now to take the hit and take it out personally, esp as Plan B is starting...

Comment

How does MassiveClientCo manage with this

Ideas?
                Sometimes not very well....
                Update on Bank F&C | Ferrexpo Plc

Comment

tulip I'm with Cater Allen and Santander - they're connected, does that mean on 75k job lot or two?
                  You really didn't check this before signing up? https://www.caterallen.co.uk/regulat...come-insolvent

It's one 75K job lot. If you are concerned about this, you'd better get another bank now. Or get the cash out of the company, as you said.

Edit: I was wrong. It's two, this is right. But money over the 75K in Cater Allen is at greater risk, according to that first link. And I'm not sure how to reconcile what Cater Allen's own website says with the This Is Money link.
                  Last edited by WordIsBond; 28 January 2016, 18:44.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    You really didn't check this before signing up? https://www.caterallen.co.uk/regulat...come-insolvent

It's one 75K job lot. If you are concerned about this, you'd better get another bank now. Or get the cash out of the company, as you said.

Edit: I was wrong. It's two, this is right. But money over the 75K in Cater Allen is at greater risk, according to that first link. And I'm not sure how to reconcile what Cater Allen's own website says with the This Is Money link.
                    I know i've been lax but as a former accountant (qualified, ICMA!!) I cannot ever remember any of my then clients having the 75k limit to worry about, either cos it wasn't a risk back then anyway cos of no legislation, or they had 'other' arrangements.

I'm sure even any normal UKco doesn't have this issue, or do they?

It's no biggie, I'll spread it about or draw it as I can with least tax cost, I was really just wondering what MassiveClientCo does in this situation....

Comment

Working...
                    X