• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LTD using PAYE vs Umberalla PAYE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gravesendboy
    Forgive me if I disagreee but it would be interesting if all the people posting on this subject called the top umbrella companies and see what exactly they tell you
    I can only tell you from experience that the question they ask is how many hours I was out of the house for and when I told them 'around 11' , they tell me I am entitled to tax free sums ....
    There's no mention of having to actually incur these expenses ?
    There must be thousands of contractors who have underpaid their taxes
    Now the question is .. who is going to tell them ?
    I think I may be able to shed some light on this Gravesendboy. This may be a distortion of the 'detached duty' rules which state that it is not unreasonable to claim for the cost of meals if you are away from your normal place of employment or it could be the 'bending' another rule which allows the payment of an allowance to lorry drivers when they are away from home for a certain period of time. It could also be the assumption by the umbrella company that the IR would not deam it unreasonable for the contractor to claim for the cost of a meal if they were working beyond their expected hours of work and have set a threshold of an 11 hour day. However, the point is that you still cannot claim these amounts without receipts and it would be you and not the umbrella company that would have to support any expense claim you put through should the IR query it. Also remember that the dispensation gives an amount which is the maximum that can be put through without the umbrella company completing a P11D - this is not the amount that you can claim regardless of the amount that you have spent.
    In answer to who will tell the contractors - Gordon Brown and Co and it will be in the form of a request for payment.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Lisa, you are doing a grand job with your explinations.

Since time began, or even earlier, this same question has been asked here and the same answer has always been given:
      No reciept = Don't claim
      Good luck with trying to convlice the unconvinceable (even Chico seems to have given up, see General), but please be aware that you may need to invest in a harder head / bigger hammer to convice the unconvinceable.
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
        Lisa, you are doing a grand job with your explinations.

Since time began, or even earlier, this same question has been asked here and the same answer has always been given:

Good luck with trying to convlice the unconvinceable (even Chico seems to have given up, see General), but please be aware that you may need to invest in a harder head / bigger hammer to convice the unconvinceable.
        Thanks Mrs Goof It does seem to be a hard point to get across sometimes but you know what they say - try, try and try again!
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

P4 and brollys

Originally posted by Robwg
          When I changed to Parasolit (before eventually going Ltd) - to be fair they did actually say I needed receipts.

Still - makes me very irritated that I have been potentially left exposed - and I feel I have a fair case against P4 about it as the initial quote should have explained that.
          When the IR come gunning for this stuff P4 will disappear in a puff of smoke and the only case they will have is one with all the contractors money in it.

I've also heard a rumour that Parasolit is to be bought out this week for a sum over £20M squid. Nice work if you can get it. The downside for the poor brolly punters of course is that come the day of reckoning there will be £20M worth of debtors getting their hand out before them (not counting the IR as well).

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
            Ahem! http://www.prosperity4.com/prosperity4/index2.aspx

However, take a look at their PDF on the detail of their expenses policy (a 1.2Mb download not linked from the expenses advertising blurb) and it includes references such as [/left]

...which to my mind tells you that you should receipt everything for your own records.

So they may well be open to accusations of misleading advertising but they are not actually saying that no receipts are necessary at all.

Bugger me, am I actually justifying P4's wesbite? I think I need to lie down...
            [/color][/size][/font]
            Well, I didn't say "to my certain knowledge"

I must say that does get very close to saying "just do it". However I do suspect they have the getout through the fuller details.

I could also give P4 a slim defence (but I'm struggling) because the statement they make is in fact entirely true. It's just wrong by omission.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Do you mean that my new friend Manuel in Espania, to whom I sent my passport and bank account details plus £5000, isn't going to send me my winnings?

There was dozy bint on GMTV a couple of days ago who sent £250k in amounts of £7k - £10k over a period of several months to scammers who told her she'd won the Australian lottery. And get this, despite her telling them she didn't want the money! They convinced her it was too much money to turn down and that she should collect it [after paying agents' handling fees and taxes up front, of course] and then donate the money to charity.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                There was dozy bint on GMTV a couple of days ago who sent £250k in amounts of £7k - £10k over a period of several months to scammers who told her she'd won the Australian lottery. And get this, despite her telling them she didn't want the money! They convinced her it was too much money to turn down and that she should collect it [after paying agents' handling fees and taxes up front, of course] and then donate the money to charity.
                It's the media's fault. By having these people on telly discussing spamming 'successes', it will only encourage further spamming...
                Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Xtrain
                  When the IR come gunning for this stuff P4 will disappear in a puff of smoke and the only case they will have is one with all the contractors money in it.

I've also heard a rumour that Parasolit is to be bought out this week for a sum over £20M squid. Nice work if you can get it. The downside for the poor brolly punters of course is that come the day of reckoning there will be £20M worth of debtors getting their hand out before them (not counting the IR as well).
                  They actually sold out a month or two back for £7.5m. The funding came from using their own cashflow. All entirely above board, but any downturn in the market, or in their own business could cause a great deal of cashflow problems.
                  P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
                    It's the media's fault. By having these people on telly discussing spamming 'successes', it will only encourage further spamming...
                    It's got me thinking about a career change. Especially as a copper from the fraud squad was there and said their main focus of effort had moved away from attempts at law enforcement and onto educating the public in how to identify potential scams.

Comment

Ok I understand now. A little digging into the calcs also showed some how they had me working 21.6 days a month instead of 20

Comment

Working...
                      X