• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experience Changing Accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just thought I'd post my experience of changing accountants. It's the first time I'd done it and since it's a pretty big deal it's not something I approached lightly and may be of use to anyone else thinking of changing accountants.

A lot of you will have seen my post questioning whether the service at my previous accountants was going down the pan, with high accountant turnover and poor planning around holidays and sickness. This was the catalyst behind the move (although I have to admit the service improved after posting on here and the senior managers getting involved, but too little and too late etc.). Additionally I'd built a good working relationship with my personal accountant who had helped me through a lot of the challenges associated with starting out as a contractor and she'd moved on to the new business I engaged.

The actual process of moving is handled by the relevant accountants behind the scene, and a lot of it will depend on the quality of who you're moving to I guess. For me the process was painless. Everything was done quickly and requests to HMRC are made which come to you personally to send on to the new agent for authorisation.

The biggest change for me however was the tech behind the new accountants. My old company had used Excel spreadsheets to record all the information, with all the challenges that brought (although they did do the job). The new accountants use FreeAgent which is light years ahead of what I'd been doing previously. It seems crazily old fashioned now after seeing FreeAgent to think about going back to Excel. I'd caution this however with ensuring you take regular on-site backups of the FreeAgent data however as you never know with online data storage whether it'll have enough resilience in place (an area I work with regularly on client sites), plus it's just good practice and due diligence as a business director.

All in all I have no regrets about moving, and (here comes the plug... ) am very happy with the service at Gorilla. In addition it's 30% cheaper than my previous accountants. If you're unhappy with your accountant don't be put off by nervousness about changing. There are companies out there that will do the job far better and cheaper, and the process is easy. It may be worth doing it after a year end though once the accounts are done so as to ensure responsibility for each piece of work is clearly defined. Also it means you don't end up having to transpose as much information from one system to another which could be a pain in the ass if you're 10 months into your corporate year.

Oh, and I ended up having a month of overlap in billing. I'm guessing that this could be eliminated if you plan it but I wanted to make sure I was covered for the previous company year and for the new year (mortgage application in the works etc.)

Apologies if this post sounded like an advert, it wasn't intended to be but I like to post about good service I've received as much as I post about when I've been p*ssed off by a company
    Have you tried switching it off and back on again??

Good to hear about positive experiences. Although I'd correct you about one thing: the ease of transfer is more down to the exiting accountant rather than the incoming one, as they are in a position to go quickly or slowly. Anyone who has tried to transfer a client out of brookson will testify to this

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
      Good to hear about positive experiences. Although I'd correct you about one thing: the ease of transfer is more down to the exiting accountant rather than the incoming one, as they are in a position to go quickly or slowly. Anyone who has tried to transfer a client out of brookson will testify to this
      Fair point, it'll require both sides of the equation to work well to get it done quickly. I'd guess that could give some grief if the accountant you're leaving isn't particularly receptive to the new accountants requests.

I was lucky enough that it all went pretty well on both sides. You could probably mitigate it though by moving just after a year end where accounts have been produced so opening balances are available and delta changes are minimal for transposing.

Comment

I'm a newbie contractor although not a newbie to running a limited company, I engaged Gorilla for my accounting (although I had already done all the company formation, VAT registration, etc myself) and have no complaints so far.
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Just in the process of moving myself.

From what I have read, a professional accountancy will handle a move away professionally.

No hard sell/hard keep from my existing accountancy. They offered me feedback, which in my case was mainly they didnt use FreeAgent. I tied mine in with year end, so will be working with both, but no overlap of fees.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ1982 View Post
            Just in the process of moving myself.

From what I have read, a professional accountancy will handle a move away professionally.

No hard sell/hard keep from my existing accountancy. They offered me feedback, which in my case was mainly they didnt use FreeAgent. I tied mine in with year end, so will be working with both, but no overlap of fees.
            Keep us updated on how it goes, always good to see any pitfalls in the process for others considering changing.

Technically I could have asked my old accountants for the final 2 months fees to be waived as they failed to meet their own guarantees around timeliness of end of year accounts completion but it's not about the money for me, it's about the service. I'd happily pay decent dollar for top service, but hate paying market rate for cr*p service which is what the previous company I worked with ended up providing. Value for money is the key.

If their service had been up to scratch they would have automatically waived the fees so I wouldn't have had to ask them. As it is they've lost a customer which will cost them far more in the long run than they made in the short term.

Comment

Sorry but my opinion is dont touch the mega sweep up all the contractor type internet accountancy services.

IMO you just dont get the personal service.

Ive been with my local accountancy practice for 17 years now. Ive changed accountant within the practice once when he left for pastures new. Im more than satisfied with the service I get even though they are a little pricey (although I negotiated a 'discount' recently)
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Thanks for the info - I'm just about to move accountant too, having the same feelings as you about the same company. Have been with them 5 years, and looking forward to a better deal with a better system that will give me a much better summary of my accounts year on year. I'm just coming to year end, so it's my time ideal time to move. Thanks for the info, as I was wondering if I might be in for a load of hassle.

Comment

Working...
                X